PDA

View Full Version : Introduction, tool gloat and pictures. Just trying to start out right.

Silas Smith
12-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Hello to everybody. After lurking for about 3 months, I guess I'll come out of the shadows, so to speak. I have attached a couple of pics. The D4 I got thanks to you all and Rockler's ineptness for $255 delivered. My wife surprised me with the bandsaw for Xmas. I probably would have gotten the Grizzley, but hey, beggars can't be choosers and I've been beggin for a while now. I have been woodworking for about 8 months now and I can't seem to get enough. I already have commendered the garage and now I am dreaming of moving to a place with either a 3 car or room for a dedicated shop. (who isn't ;) ) I look forward to the day that I can quit painting my projects. I wonder if wood putty and gaps in joints will ever be considered FWW? I have learned alot from y'all already and I have a couple of questions. First, is there anyone on the creek that lives in Houston? Second, what is the best way to paint furniture without spending $$$$ on a HVLP setup? Finally, I have just tried out my Leigh (it arrived today) and I have noticed quite a bit of tearout. What can I do to have sharp edges on the pins and tails? Thanks for your time.

Tyler Howell
12-28-2004, 11:51 PM
Welcome Silas,

Lurkers Heads up! This is how it's done. My Man Silas steps up with Tool & Project pixs.
Glad to have you Swimming in the Creek:cool:

Phil Winn
12-29-2004, 12:45 AM
Great pics ! How did you get it for $255.00?

Phil

Herb Blair
12-29-2004, 5:19 AM
Silas,
Welcome to the creek! You're off to a great start.
As far as the tearout when using the D4, I have serveral suggestions.
1. Read the manual, especially the hints in the back. They will help.
2. Make sure your router bit is clean and sharp. Sometimes we (including myself) buy cheap bits. Whiteside bits have never failed me.
3. Use a backer board on the tails and pins. On the backer board that mounts on the back of the D4, I cut a fresh edge for each different setup. I use 1/4 plywood for the front backer board, which helps a lot.
4. Take it slow with easy passes on the work, when doing a slot, I will cut from right to left and just kiss the board with the bit to cut the front side then I go into the board a little a time going left to right.

Lots of creekers in Houston.

Hope this helps.

Dick Parr
12-29-2004, 6:57 AM
Weclome to the SMC! :)

Rob Russell
12-29-2004, 7:04 AM
Silas,

Welcome to CMS. Don't be in too much of a rush to give up the painted work - what you're building looks nice. If your wife or daughter(s) are happy, what's wrong with keeping that up?

I've never done it, but you should be able to spray thinned latex through an inexpensive cup gun. I've only sprayed lacquer with mine. You'd need one with stainless steel components so they don't rust. It'd probably mean an additional coat or two, but you would get that "sprayed" look.

Rob

Thomas Prondzinski
12-29-2004, 7:47 AM
Welcome Silas
Glad to see you did your homework first(Tyler),nice looking projects ,keep'em coming.

Tom

Silas Smith
12-29-2004, 8:25 AM
Phil, about two or three weeks ago Rockler sent out a coupon to a fellow creeker. Wanting to share his good fortune, he posted the coupon for all to use. The coupon was for 25% off and could be combined with other offers, hence $409 - 40%. I forgot to mention the best part about my gloat, I got my work to pay for it! I agreed to make a couple of boxes and, for payment, they bought me the D4. I guess that would be my first commission. Not to rub it in, but I actually have two Leigh jigs. I ordered one from work, and then I ordered one from my house. I read how many people were having problems with rockler honoring the coupon and I thought I would hedge my bet. I will probably post it on ebay for $360, as they regularly go for that price and sometimes more. (that would be a nice $100 to buy a low angle block plane from LV.)

Wes Newman
12-29-2004, 8:30 AM
Silas, Welcome aboard. Great price on the D4.

Frank Pellow
12-29-2004, 9:14 AM
Welcome Silas and thanks for the pictures but THEY SURE ARE BIG!

I believe that paint does have its place in fine woodworking. More than once, people have asked me how I could possibly paint some item that I had made with care and that had no noticeable blemishes. My answer was, that when I designed the item, I envisioned it in the colour that I was about to paint it.

Jim Becker
12-29-2004, 9:23 AM
Welcome aboard, Silas! Those are very nice projects you've pictured for us and I agree, don't be in a huge hurry to abandon paint...it does have it's place in what we do and was the right choice for the items you exhibited. When you do move to other finishing, keep in mind that you don't have to spray to get a fine finish. Shellac brushes nicely as well as pads on and wipe-on varnishes (thin regular varnish 50/50 with mineral spirits) are nearly fool-proof with a little bit if practice. Further, if you have a compressor, you can buy a nice HPLV conversion gun for a reasonable sum (my Wagner was $129) and spray water-bourne finishes safely and easily. Lots of choices!!

thomas prevost
12-29-2004, 9:32 AM
Welcome aboard!! Nice toys. When you get the band saw up and running, would you give a short review of it and your impressions. The mags have been giving it good reveiws, but we need to hear from a real live owner. I am considering one in the spring for my shop.

Ted Shrader
12-29-2004, 9:47 AM
Silas -

Welcome to the Creek. A greta place to hang out and exchange ideas. Glad to e-meet you!

Congratulations on your Christmas gloat! Nice work on the various projects. Is that mantle your doing, too?

Welcome,
Ted

Lou Morrissette
12-29-2004, 10:19 AM
Silas,
Welcome to the Creek. Great score on the D4. I agree with the others that the projects you chose lend themselves to paint real well. Nice job on all of them, especialy the fireplace. Thanks for sharing.

Lou

Silas Smith
12-29-2004, 3:30 PM
The mantle was actually my first project ever. I got a good deal on some marble and the fireplace front so I figured it would not be too hard to rip out my old one and put in a new one, especially with the great deal I got on the material. I estimated for $100 I could put in the new one. $400 later that is the end result. thank you to everyone for the welcome. I will post a review of the Rikon a little later as I learn more about it. At this point I can verify that it cuts wood!

Mike Tempel
12-29-2004, 4:46 PM
Silas,

Great deal on the D4 - how did you get them to go for 40% off though? I used my 25% off coupon and a couple of Christmas gift cards so the part out of my pocket was meger but still would have loved to have the extra 15% off. The guy at Rockler didn't want to order it for me but did anyway. He said I would be lucky if I got it by March. I told him if it came in by June I could wait at that price!!!!
I live in LaPorte - on the east side of Houston. I have seen some profiles here that show some people from other nearby cities.
Your work is nicer than mine and I have been doing this for a few years now. Keep it up and I may have to stay on the amatuer side of the creek.

Nice to have a fellow Texan here - lots of Yanks here but they sure are nice folks and man do they know their stuff. I hope you learn as much as I have from just lurking about in the shallow end.

Mike

Steve Beadle
12-29-2004, 4:56 PM
Looks like you're doing well for the short time you've been involved in woodworking! By the way, I made one of those dollhouse bookcases for my grand-niece. No plans, just a picture in a catalogue. It, too, was PAINTED!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-30-2004, 8:39 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek Silas! I'd suggest to wade or jump in but guy...you did! And I see that Tyler gave you a "10" for that first dive. Nice first project! Great buy on that D4! Take and leave info as you deem necessary! Again...Welcome!

Jim Fancher
01-10-2005, 4:02 PM
Love the mantel! That's on my long list of projects for 2005.

I'm in Houston on the west side. I'm off of 6 in between 290 and 10.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-10-2005, 7:20 PM
Nice first few projects! Also, great buy on the D4!!

Welcome to the creek and keep us updated of with your new projects!

Jim Young
01-10-2005, 9:10 PM
Welcome Silas,

Lurkers Heads up! This is how it's done. My Man Silas steps up with Tool & Project pixs.
Glad to have you Swimming in the Creek:cool:

A shop tour would have made this intro perfect.