PDA

View Full Version : DNA container

Richard Golde
11-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I have been soaking rough turned bowls in DNA in a 5 gallon pail and am pleased with the results. I can fit in an 11" bowl with a tight fit in the pail. I would like to make larger bowls and am asking what type of container will work that has a tight fitting lid to reduce evaporation. I would like something 16- 20 " inside. A 55 gallon barrel is way overkill as to how much DNA would be needed and I don't know if I could even reach the bottom. Anything in between?
Richard Golde

John Keeton
11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Richard, at Steve's Schlumpf's suggestion, I used a heavy trash bag, put the piece in it, and then put the bag and piece in a cardboard box filled with shavings nestled around the turning. Then put in just enough DNA to fill the inside of the piece and the outside. Put a tight "twisty" on the bag. That way it takes only a minimal amount of DNA. Seemed to work great.

Steve Schlumpf
11-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Richard - I use a contractor grade plastic garbage bag, I think they are 42 gallon, cut in half. Using a large cardboard box, I place the turning in the plastic bag, then place the bag into the box. Stuff wet shavings all around the outside of the bag to remove any spaces within the bag. THEN fill the bag with enough DNA to cover the turning, twist the plastic bag closed and secure with a tie-wrap! Very simple - works with all size forms and you only use as much DNA as needed per turning!

Looks like John beat me to it!

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2010, 10:51 AM
I use a tote container from Wally World. It does take about 2 1/2 gallons but it will last for a long time. The lid I sealed with stick on foam to help keep it from evaporating. As the DNA goes down I just add fresh. So far this batch is over a year old and still does the job.

Prashun Patel
11-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Target sells a cheap plastic bins that can be used. Specifically, there are wide/short ones that are used to store clothes under the bed. Not all are entirely airtight, but it's not really critical if yr soaking for less than a couple days.

If you need better airtightness, you can put the bin in a plastic bag.

Scott Hackler
11-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Richard,

I use an old shop vac bucket. I had this shop vac that wouldnt run anymore and I threw the motor part away and made a plywood lid to sit on the bucket portion. I took a bicycle inner tube and staple it to the underside on the plywood to help with a seal. I found out that the Dna WILL start to loosen paint on the lid so I started draping a trash bag over the bucket and then put the lid on, with a cinder block on top to weight it down.

For me, this works great. I can soak multiple things and/or a big big bowl. I like the permanent bucket option and since its on wheels, it gets rolled under a work top and its out of sight. This bucket takes about 7-8 gallons for a full refill (leaving about 4-6 from the top).

You could take a plastic 55 gal barrel and cut it in half, then make a lid and a dolly to roll it around. If you like my idea, I would look at the pawn shops or Salvation Army thrift stores for a beat up cheap shop vac.

Ken Whitney
11-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Richard,

I use a 5-gallon bucket from Home Depot (the orange buckets with snap-fit lids) for most turnings. For larger turnings I use a rectangular plastic storage box with lid (18x24x12 deep or so). I just pour the DNA into the larger container, do the soak, and then pour it back into the bucket.

Ken

Harvey Ghesser
11-15-2010, 11:44 AM
The Schlumpf DNA method works great!

Dave Ogren
11-15-2010, 12:44 PM
I use LDD but in the same containment method as John, Steve, and Harvey. Have done into the 20++" size range, Works Great.

Dave

Rob Cunningham
11-15-2010, 12:49 PM
The Schlumpf DNA method works great!

Unless you pack the shavings too tight and tear a small hole in the bag. Then you end up with a wet cardboard box and a stain on the floor.
DAMHIKT :o :(

Jack Mincey
11-15-2010, 2:38 PM
I don't use the DNA method, but when I did try it, I used a 40 gallon plastic trash can. I would put the bowl or bowls in a heavy duty trash bag and put a gallon or so of DNA in it and then sink it in the trash can which was half full of water. I felt this way if the bag ever leaked I would contain the DNA in the trash can full of water. By sinking the bag in the water it would cause the DNA to cover the bowls in the bag.
Jack

Jim Burr
11-15-2010, 2:49 PM
20 gallon round toy tote, mine is purple, 2 1/2 feet around 2' tall with rope handles. Get a slab of plywood..3/4" or 1/2" is good and attach an inner tube "seal" around the outside. Put a "D" handle on it to lift in and out and Shazzam!!! really big DNA soaker! I only use my 5 gal bucket because I still have a 1024 :mad::o:(

Jeff Nicol
11-15-2010, 3:02 PM
Richard, I know lots of people swear buy it but if you turn enough things ahead and have lots of rough outs of many sizes you will never have to worry about what you are able to turn. It still takes a lot of work and effort to do the soak and then wrap it all up to slow the drying etc. I just don't see much of an advantage if you need to finish something in a week or so. I have been turning things and sealing the outside and end grain then filling the bowl or HF or whatever with floor dry or kitty litter and I can dry a roughout down to 12% in a couple weeks and I can reuse it over and over after I dry it back out. Then I don't have a bucket of highly flammable stuff sitting around.

Just my 2 cents,

Jeff

Jim Burr
11-15-2010, 3:54 PM
Given the quality of Jeff's work...I'd be inclined to have a lash at what he does ;):D

Jeff Fagen
11-15-2010, 3:54 PM
Yea Richard,I saw you eyeing up that Robust this weekend.I'll help you get it in your trunk.:D

Christopher K. Hartley
11-15-2010, 6:28 PM
Richard, I have shared this numerous times before but go to your local pool cleaning company or independent pool cleaner. They throw away plastic buckets of a number of sizes. The buckets have screw on lids and a seal which make them Ideal for DNA so that it will not evaporate. I have kept DNA as long as a year and didn't have any loss. Best part the buckets can be had for free as they just throw them away. I have gotten buckets that will accept a 16" turning. The offer of a turning as payment would serve you well.:)

dirk martin
11-15-2010, 9:24 PM
Richard, I know lots of people swear buy it but if you turn enough things ahead and have lots of rough outs of many sizes you will never have to worry about what you are able to turn. It still takes a lot of work and effort to do the soak and then wrap it all up to slow the drying etc. I just don't see much of an advantage if you need to finish something in a week or so. I have been turning things and sealing the outside and end grain then filling the bowl or HF or whatever with floor dry or kitty litter and I can dry a roughout down to 12% in a couple weeks and I can reuse it over and over after I dry it back out. Then I don't have a bucket of highly flammable stuff sitting around.

Just my 2 cents,

Jeff

Jeff, can you help some of us a bit more on this?
Are you saying you fill a roughed out bowl with kitty litter, or Floor Dry, and your roughed turning will be down to 12% in a couple of weeks?

Richard Golde
11-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. Much appreciated. Jeff Fagen, eyeing up the Robust is about as close as I am going to come to it. Very nice lathe but unfortunately it also has another very nice, the price. Jeff Nicol, I will call you to stop by to talk more on it. Sounds interesting. Thanks again to all.
Richard

Barry Elder
11-16-2010, 10:45 AM
ReStock.com carries about every type of Rubbermaid (and others) containers and lids that you can imagine.

Ron Bontz
11-17-2010, 9:48 AM
I believe I'll be trying the Kitty Litter method myself.:)

Harvey Schneider
11-17-2010, 11:01 AM
ReStock.com carries about every type of Rubbermaid (and others) containers and lids that you can imagine.

I believe that it is ReStockit.com
Harvey