PDA

View Full Version : Many products today are better than the old ones

dennis thompson
11-15-2010, 10:16 AM
I hear a lot of complaints that the older products were better than today's products. While in some cases this may be correct, in many cases it is not. For example
- I have a TV that is at least 15 years old, never had a repair & works perfectly. I remember as a kid the TV repairman was a constant visitor.
-Cars are much better, my son had a Ford Explorer he sold recently with 230,000 miles on it, never any major problems with it. I must say I wouldn't buy a car with 230,000 miles on it but someone did. A 100,000 miles on a car used to be a big deal, now it's nothing.
-I have a Samsung laser printer I paid $60 for about 5 years ago, still going strong
-materials for home construction are far better today than those available in the past ,eg. insulated windows, far more efficient furnaces & hot water heaters, Azek products.
So all is not lost:)
Dennis

Derek Gilmer
11-15-2010, 11:02 AM
I like the computers from today a lot more than the ones from the 50s :D

Joe Pelonio
11-15-2010, 11:06 AM
I like the computers from today a lot more than the ones from the 50s :D
They definitely take up less space!

Rod Sheridan
11-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I agree Dennis, and many of the wood working machines of today are far better than they were 50 years ago.

50 years ago you could buy a Delta Cabinet saw, or today you could buy the same basic design and aside from perhaps an improvement fence and guard, not much had changed.

Of course you could also buy a MiniMax or Hammer or Felder machine today, and find out just how much machinery has improved in those 50 years.

I agree, we're living in a golden age of electronics, wood working machinery, hand tools etc.

We're also living in a strange time where we've become addicted to cheap, chasing the lowest price to the detriment of all else.

Funny times, to quote Charles Dickens "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times".

regards, Rod.

Van Huskey
11-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Short of the rare item that the raw materials aqnd/or the process is illegal due to environmental issues I can't think of ANYTHING that isn't better today than say 20-30 years ago IF you are willing to pay the cost of the quality today. The problem is quality products in many categories have become like unicorns you really have to search for them and they well may not be in your backyard unless you live in a MAJOR metro area. I am curious if someone can come up with something that is objectivly poorer in quality than 20-30 years ago.

Bob Rufener
11-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Many of today's products are superior to the old ones. When I was growing up back in the 50's and 60's, it was unusual for an automobile to get much more than 100k on the odometer. Now, it is commonplace to go much higher. We used to be able to change plugs and points in the distributor with no problem. Now, I have a hard time finding the plugs and points have gone the way of the dinosaur. Our first tv was 16" and a perfect circular picture tube. The repairman was a frequent visitor.

On the other hand, we got rid of a freezer that was given to us by my godparents. It was built in 1951 and was still going strong when we got rid of it about 4 years ago. The hinge springs were shot and the cover weighed a ton so it was time to change. I doubt whether the new freezer will last as long although it sure weighs a lot less and I am sure it is much more energy efficient. I think the problem with many of our present applicances is that they are only expected to last 10-12 years. Built in obsolescence. I guess that helps the economy.

bob svoboda
11-16-2010, 9:01 AM
I am curious if someone can come up with something that is objectivly poorer in quality than 20-30 years ago.[/QUOTE]

ME! :D:eek:

Rod Sheridan
11-16-2010, 6:51 PM
I am curious if someone can come up with something that is objectivly poorer in quality than 20-30 years ago.

Van, my parents GE electric kettle lasted for decades, aside from a cord that was easily replaced due to the design of the connector on the end of the cord.

I cannot find an electric kettle that lasts me more than 5 or 6 years.

Regards, Rod.

Leo Graywacz
11-16-2010, 6:54 PM
I have a stove that my parents bought in 1961. Still going. Replaced a few elements and the clock doesn't work anymore. But it still cooks.....

David Freed
11-17-2010, 6:12 AM
On the other hand, we got rid of a freezer that was given to us by my godparents. It was built in 1951 and was still going strong when we got rid of it about 4 years ago. The hinge springs were shot and the cover weighed a ton so it was time to change. I doubt whether the new freezer will last as long although it sure weighs a lot less and I am sure it is much more energy efficient.
I still have a freezer like that. We used to just prop the lid up with a stick until I realized that by defrosting very thoroughly and draining all the water out of the lid, the hinge springs work fine. Now, if the lid starts getting heavy, we know it's time to defrost the lid again. :rolleyes:

Scott Shepherd
11-17-2010, 8:18 AM
I am curious if someone can come up with something that is objectivly poorer in quality than 20-30 years ago.

Q-Tips (cotton swabs).

John Coloccia
11-17-2010, 8:59 AM
I'd say it hit or miss. There's certainly a LOT that is far better today than they ever. Power tools come to mind. I think our current tools are better than we've ever had, although you CAN be cheap junky tools if you want to. Our pro tools are fantastic, though.

And then I look at things like a church key. I went nuts with church keys. I would buy one every couple of months because they kept bending on me. They're so poorly made that I struggle opening a can of soup when the thing is brand spanking new, and it's down hill from there. Cheap ones, expensive ones with rubber handles, didn't matter. Then I thought for a moment and realized that my parents have had the same church key for nearly 40 years, and maybe longer. It's the one I grew up with, and my mom bought it her first day in this country for all I know.

So I went to the antique store, rummaged through their box of old kitchen junk and found a church key. This was probably a free giveaway item. It has the name of some now defunct beer on it (I can't remember the brand). I bought it for $.50 and have used it ever since.

So a lot has really improved due to technology and knowledge, but there's quite a bit that has gotten cheap and throwaway, and some that's so bad it's practically unusable.

Scott Shepherd
11-17-2010, 9:34 AM
Add Toasters to the list.

John Coloccia
11-17-2010, 9:39 AM
Add Toasters to the list.

You know, that's actually a sore subject with my wife. She's gone on a quest for a decent toaster that, you know, toasts bread. I can find toasters designed to toast bagels, cook pizza, make coffee, drive me to the store, etc but we can't seem to find one that can reliably toast a simple slice of bread.

Jon Lanier
11-17-2010, 12:03 PM
I think you will find there is a good mix of then and now. Of course technology is going to make many things seem 'better' now. But what about longevity of the products today? We won't know until much later.

Currently we still have our first TV RCA 32" and never had a problem with it. It is 22 years old. Will the 'newer' TV's last that long?

Leo Graywacz
11-17-2010, 12:21 PM
You know, that's actually a sore subject with my wife. She's gone on a quest for a decent toaster that, you know, toasts bread. I can find toasters designed to toast bagels, cook pizza, make coffee, drive me to the store, etc but we can't seem to find one that can reliably toast a simple slice of bread.

My toaster does a great job on toasting bread. To bad it takes so long.:(. 3 minutes for toast is like an eternity. The older toasters could pop out toast in a minute or less. They also made the meter spin so fast you'd think it would launch.:rolleyes:

Orion Henderson
11-17-2010, 3:46 PM
OK, I'm gonna give this a go. I would agree that the vast majority of manufactured products are better than they were 20, 30, or 40 years ago. Toasters and maybe irons are exceptions, but better is subjective for those. They do do some things better. Maybe just not make toast...

Here is what is not better: Food. Pre WW2 food was food. Now? Not so much. Should there really be a need for natural and or health food in a grocery store? Shouldn't all food be natural and healthful. Most food isn't really food in the sense that my great grandmother would even be able to identify. It sure as heck doesn't have as much nutritional value as it once did. Even non processed food has gone down hill. I can't site any sources but I have read that chicken bought at the store today has less protein than chicken from 30 years ago. Veggies have are less "nutrient dense". Etc. That said, there is extraordinarily good food available now that wasn't, but it is harder to get and too expensive for many people. End Rant//

Rod Sheridan
11-17-2010, 4:47 PM
My toaster does a great job on toasting bread. To bad it takes so long.:(. 3 minutes for toast is like an eternity. The older toasters could pop out toast in a minute or less. They also made the meter spin so fast you'd think it would launch.:rolleyes:

My old toaster also had the ability to add minerals to my toast.

Unfortunately, it was asbestos:D

I guess that's the one advantage my new toaster has, it's asbestos free.

Regards, Rod.

jackie gates
11-17-2010, 5:24 PM
[QUOTE=John Coloccia;1560619].
So I went to the antique store, rummaged through their box of old kitchen junk and found a church key. This was probably a free giveaway item. It has the name of some now defunct beer on it (I can't remember the brand). I bought it for $.50 and have used it ever since.

John, do you still use the church key on the new style quick open cans?????:D:D

Paul Grant
11-17-2010, 6:11 PM
My wife...25 years ago she was smokin hot,now....not so much.

Brian Ashton
11-18-2010, 2:59 AM
My wife...25 years ago she was smokin hot,now....not so much.

I'm guessing she never reads this forum :D

All I can say is my wife 22 years ago was smokin hot and she still is!

Leo Graywacz
11-18-2010, 7:49 AM
I take it your wife reads the forums...:rolleyes:

Scott Shepherd
11-18-2010, 8:30 AM
Just adding to my growing list......

Shoes.
Jeans.
Kahkis.
T-shirts.
Shirts in general (ever wash a new shirt and dry it? You get permanent wrinkles in the collar that have memory that will NOT come out for the life of the shirt).

So maybe just summing it up by saying "Clothing".

Steve Griffin
11-18-2010, 9:08 AM
OK, I'm gonna give this a go. I would agree that the vast majority of manufactured products are better than they were 20, 30, or 40 years ago. Toasters and maybe irons are exceptions, but better is subjective for those. They do do some things better. Maybe just not make toast...

Here is what is not better: Food. Pre WW2 food was food. Now? Not so much. Should there really be a need for natural and or health food in a grocery store? Shouldn't all food be natural and healthful. Most food isn't really food in the sense that my great grandmother would even be able to identify. It sure as heck doesn't have as much nutritional value as it once did. Even non processed food has gone down hill. I can't site any sources but I have read that chicken bought at the store today has less protein than chicken from 30 years ago. Veggies have are less "nutrient dense". Etc. That said, there is extraordinarily good food available now that wasn't, but it is harder to get and too expensive for many people. End Rant//

Right on about the decline of food, with one exception. Good food is actually cheaper than it used to be. 30-50 years ago, food was larger percentage of peoples budget. Nowadays, you can get organic meats, vegies, basic quality food cheaper than ever.

Here's an example--for someone making say $12/hour, in a half hour they earned enough money for grass fed, organic hamburger patty, whole wheat bun, organic green beans and a potato.

The problem is, they are more likely to spend that same amount of money at Mcdonalds, since they have convinced themselves they can't afford good food.

-Steve

Mike Hollingsworth
11-18-2010, 9:56 AM
In the late 40's, they learned to throw up crappy housing for the returning GIs. That's when we got drywall and Bondo.

Jason Roehl
11-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Funny you put it that way, Mike. I'm not a huge fan of Bondo (it has its place), but I much prefer drywall over plaster. I've just had to make too many repairs to both drywall and plaster--I'll take the drywall any day.

However, I hope I never have to live in one of those homes slapped up by a national company...I've painted way too many of them for landlords.

Charlie Reals
11-18-2010, 10:56 AM
In the late 40's, they learned to throw up crappy housing for the returning GIs. That's when we got drywall and Bondo.

They might have been crappy butt they were far better built and better quality than the majority of tract homes built in Ca. in the 70 & 80's ;). Actually the two I owned were button board and plaster, built in the early 50's.

Jason Roehl
11-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Hey, Charlie, would "button board" be the gypsum board (drywall) with holes in it to act as keys for the plaster? I've run across that a few times, I think in '40s or '50s-era houses, but not too often, so I'm guessing it didn't catch on, at least not here.

Charlie Reals
11-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Hey, Charlie, would "button board" be the gypsum board (drywall) with holes in it to act as keys for the plaster? I've run across that a few times, I think in '40s or '50s-era houses, but not too often, so I'm guessing it didn't catch on, at least not here.

That would be it Jason. It was (I guess) the precursor to straight drywall. It did make for a nice plaster job with out the work of lathe & wire. It was though just as messy to remove :D. I never saw it used after about 1960 or so, at least not in big tracts.

Chris Padilla
11-18-2010, 4:56 PM

Sleep.....

Charlie Reals
11-18-2010, 7:02 PM
Military mail is better than the 60's, Motomail lets us send it as email and it is down loaded and carried forward within 3-4 days.
The only thing that irks me is we can't send them spam as in mystery meat spam. Spam tastes better than MRE's:eek::eek:

Ed Griner
11-20-2010, 6:07 AM
It all boils down to "You get what you pay for" Ed

Bill Cunningham
11-20-2010, 10:09 PM
On the topic of food! I could never really understand the yuppie craze for 'free range' eggs? (these are the same folks that actually think there is a difference between white eggs and brown eggs:rolleyes:) When your eggs come from a 'normal' local farm egg supplier, you know generally what the chickens are eating. If you don't, then ask! It's Usually a decent blend that is nourishing, and safe. But, free range chickens, could be eating 'anything'.. Heck, they could even be out there scarfing down plutonium pellets, you don't know.. I've seen Ducks in the supermarket, labeled 'Muscovy'.. Farmers raise Muscovy ducks for one very good reason. They eat flies.. Thousands of flies. They LOVE Flies and have no touble catching them.. Now go enjoy your 'free range' Muscovy ducks and consider their main source of protein.. How about free range duck eggs?:eek:

John Coloccia
11-20-2010, 10:40 PM
On the topic of food! I could never really understand the yuppie craze for 'free range' eggs? (these are the same folks that actually think there is a difference between white eggs and brown eggs:rolleyes:) When your eggs come from a 'normal' local farm egg supplier, you know generally what the chickens are eating. If you don't, then ask! It's Usually a decent blend that is nourishing, and safe. But, free range chickens, could be eating 'anything'.. Heck, they could even be out there scarfing down plutonium pellets, you don't know.. I've seen Ducks in the supermarket, labeled 'Muscovy'.. Farmers raise Muscovy ducks for one very good reason. They eat flies.. Thousands of flies. They LOVE Flies and have no touble catching them.. Now go enjoy your 'free range' Muscovy ducks and consider their main source of protein.. How about free range duck eggs?:eek:

Because my wife saw a documentary once, and when she thinks about how the chickens are treated she cries. For the few cents it costs to get "free range" eggs, it's worth every penny. LOL. God I hope she never gets an SMC account.

Brian Elfert
11-20-2010, 11:01 PM
And then I look at things like a church key. I went nuts with church keys. I would buy one every couple of months because they kept bending on

I had to look up what a church key even is. i recognized what it is after I saw the picture.

I'm curious what you use a church key for these days? For opening cans of food I use a manual can opener. (The kind with two rotating wheels and a handle.) Some cans even have pop tops now.

John Coloccia
11-20-2010, 11:56 PM
I had to look up what a church key even is. i recognized what it is after I saw the picture.

I'm curious what you use a church key for these days? For opening cans of food I use a manual can opener. (The kind with two rotating wheels and a handle.) Some cans even have pop tops now.

Cans of chicken stock. One hole on one side, one on the other, and pour. Now it's mostly started coming in cardboard boxes, but that was still fairly new when I picked up my church key.

Rheingold Beer, by the way. It's from Rheingold Beer. I looked them up. Apparently, they may stage a comeback someday.

Charlie Reals
11-21-2010, 7:59 AM

Bill.
Free range can mean a lot of things, the whole organic thing is a joke imo. I was raised on a truck farm, we sold produce and poultry to local stores. The only chemical we ever used was lime and sulpher. that was a lot more organic than todays craze is.;)

Oh by the way, those turkeys you hunt, are they free range?:D:D
charlie

Bill Cunningham
11-21-2010, 8:35 PM
Oh by the way, those turkeys you hunt, are they free range?:D:D
charlie

Yup they certainly are! But unlike domestic 'free range' critters, turkeys, deer, and by gosh even ducks, they certainly taste a lot better! The one thing about turkeys, is you generally 'know' what they've been eating. It's all right there in the gizzard when you clean them out.. Nope!! No plutonium pellets..:D

Jim Finn
11-22-2010, 7:35 PM
we called that "button board" ......"Rock Lath"

Cary Falk
11-23-2010, 7:19 AM
I think you will find there is a good mix of then and now. Of course technology is going to make many things seem 'better' now. But what about longevity of the products today? We won't know until much later.

Currently we still have our first TV RCA 32" and never had a problem with it. It is 22 years old. Will the 'newer' TV's last that long?

The problem with electronics is that the technology changes so fast. The technology lifespan is about 4 years maybe. The device isn't made to last much longer because it will be obsolete. The average electronic gadget is outdated by the time it hits the store shelves.

Bryan Morgan
11-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Shaving stuff certainly hasn't improved. I was a sucker for all that mach fusion vibrating 5 blade gooey foam nonsense and then switched to the stuff my grandpa used to use because it was getting expensive and times are what they are with the economy. I'm glad I did! Vastly superior shave at much cheaper prices using double edge razors and a badger brush with a good shaving soap or cream. Old school real bay rum after shave smells way more manly than all this new flowery fruity metro stuff according to my wife. :)