PDA

View Full Version : Question for the bandsaw pros...

Doug Carpenter
11-14-2010, 10:39 PM
How do you wrap up a bandsaw blade so it fits back in the box?

It seems like a silly question but for the life of me I can't seem to coil my blade back up to store it in the box.

thanks, Doug

Stephen Cherry
11-14-2010, 10:45 PM
why not check youtube. Search for "fold bandsaw blade"

Troy Turner
11-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Basically, you just put part of the blade between your foot and the floor, holding the top in a gloved hand (preferred method :) ) and just twist it a couple of times. Will take a couple of practice tries, least it does for me...everytime...but it'll coil itself back up to a point and you just tuck it in.

Doug Carpenter
11-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks! I never thought that someone would take the time to post something like that.

Honestly I thought it was a little "Monk" of me to want to put them back in the box. I guess I am not as crazy as I thoguht.

Stephen Cherry
11-14-2010, 11:36 PM
I guess I am not as crazy as I thoguht.

No, you were right the first time. (joke)

I use a two handed approach- hands at 10 and 2 oclock. Lift the blade up, with to bottom away from your feet, let the bottom hit the ground, moving strait down, and twist.

Something like that- once you do it once or twice it is easy.

Josiah Bartlett
11-15-2010, 2:20 PM
Practice with a narrow blade. The first time I tried it was on a monster 3/4" wide blade and embedded the teeth in my leg when it sprang back.

Jon McElwain
11-15-2010, 3:24 PM
Stand on the blade with one foot - pointy side away from your body. Twist the loop in a clockwise direction without letting the part under your foot slip, keep twisting until the blade twists into three rings. Collapse and store!

Greg Portland
11-15-2010, 5:36 PM
Start with some thick leather gloves. Grab with the left hand thumb up and the right hand thumb down (@ 10 & 2 o'clock). Twist right hand so thumb points up and then twist left hand so thumb points down. The blade should snap into place (in 3 loops).

Note: I don't like the foot method because it can dull the teeth.

Jon McElwain
11-15-2010, 5:48 PM
Note: I don't like the foot method because it can dull the teeth.

Good point, but I figured that really, if I dulled the points under my foot, it would be only 2-3% of the teeth. That is if I actually dulled them. I like having that 10' long band of sharp steel under a little more control than is allowed by the hand only method. Of course, I used to have one of those $50 Delta bench top saws (that wouldn't cut straight for anything) where the band was hardly big enough to get your foot through - in that case, yes, hand only was the way to go. Now that I have a saw with a 125" blade, I am more comfortable with a little more control. Maybe I will put a little piece of plywood on the floor to protect the teeth - best of both worlds!

John Coloccia
11-15-2010, 6:35 PM
I had a video up at one point showing how I do it. This guy's video is much clearer. This is exactly how I do it, except I wear gloves for the larger bands (3/4" and up). I suggest you wear gloves for all of them :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOSZNjWMyk&feature=related

I just don't like stepping on them on my concrete floor, and I think this is easier on the larger bands, especially the unfolding part. I started doing this the first time I tried to unfold my 1" band with the chuck and duck method. I chucked and ducked, but it didn't unfold, so I had to find a more controlled way of doing it :)

Bill Trouard
11-15-2010, 6:56 PM
goto love youtub, that is where I learned to fold up a blade, simpler to watch and learn than try to figure it out by reading how to

Ted Wong
11-15-2010, 8:00 PM
If you don't like putting the blade on the floor put a scrap of wood or carpet down first.

Van Huskey
11-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Ever fold one of those circular car windshield sun shades? If so it is the EXACT saw muscle movement.