PDA

View Full Version : Goose Call

Patrick Doody
11-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Hey guys I tried some new finishing techniques on this one, I soaked it in BLO for a little over a week. also trying a bit of a different form on this one too.

The maple has a bit of flame in it. The picture doesn't capture the flame that great, but i think the extended soak in BLO helped bring out the curl.

Comments and critiques welcome.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1262/5176760299_a9835c92a9_z.jpg

Ken Hill
11-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Looks like silk! Very nicely done!

David E Keller
11-14-2010, 10:29 PM
It's very pretty. I'm curious about the BLO soak... Does it really make much difference over a good rubbing with the stuff? I've never tried soaking with BLO, but I'm open to new ideas.

John Keeton
11-15-2010, 6:01 AM
Loooove curly maple!! Nice work. I think the soak in BLO might help more with moisture resistance - not sure about doing much for the figure beyond a heavy application.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-15-2010, 7:51 AM
Patrick, great work and nice form, Now the $64,000.00 question...will it call a goose or is it all BLO and no go. No pun intended.:p:D he...he...he

Patrick Doody
11-15-2010, 8:29 AM
Loooove curly maple!! Nice work. I think the soak in BLO might help more with moisture resistance - not sure about doing much for the figure beyond a heavy application.

Initially it was done to make the call more weather/water resistant, but it seemed to bring out the figure a bit more than my previous efforts, which probably means i wasn't using enough oil in the past.

Also I'd Like to thank Ken, I pm'ed him some questions and he helped me out on this one.

Christopher, I hope it will call some geese in, but i'm going to have to wait almost a year to find out. looks like i'll have plenty of time to do some more turning till next season.

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2010, 11:03 AM
That is a nice looking call. I agree with the silky look. Nice curl to.