PDA

View Full Version : B-day Pre-Gloat

Scott Coffelt
12-28-2004, 10:57 PM
I got the OK today from the wife and also threw in some xmas money. I just placed an order for the Festool Plunge saw, etra length of rails, clamps, etc. So soon there will be two Festools in the shop. I spent a lot of time looking at the alternatives and decided that the Festool was the way to go.

Question, I have the Mini Fein vac, for those that have the same set-up what adapter did you get to mate the two?

Tyler, I will post pics once it is offical and I have the goods in my hands..... :cool:

Jack Diemer
12-28-2004, 11:16 PM
How did you sell SWMBO on this one? That xmas gift must have went over really well!

Tyler Howell
12-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Thanks Scott!

What I really want for Xmas is a new Scott the Bar Tender Avatar

Scott Coffelt
12-28-2004, 11:38 PM
How did you sell SWMBO on this one? That xmas gift must have went over really well!
Just said it's what I wanted. Plus I got some cash from Xmas to through into the mix. She also said, better get it now cause when we move into the house in a year I won't be getting any new tools for awhile.

I tried to push it farther,... not such luck so I guessI'll just have to drool all over the saw.

Rob Blaustein
12-29-2004, 3:36 PM
I got the OK today from the wife and also threw in some xmas money. I just placed an order for the Festool Plunge saw, etra length of rails, clamps, etc. So soon there will be two Festools in the shop. I spent a lot of time looking at the alternatives and decided that the Festool was the way to go.

Question, I have the Mini Fein vac, for those that have the same set-up what adapter did you get to mate the two?

Tyler, I will post pics once it is offical and I have the goods in my hands..... :cool:
Scott,
I have been wrestling with the Festool to Fein hookup issue as well but my tools are a bit different, so my experience might not apply--I have a Festool 150/3 ROS and a Fein Turbo II. I don't know if all of the Festools have identical ports. I have the Fein step adaptor (part number 921072K13) but the small end of it won't go into the Festool--they're about the same size. I may just cut it and try putting it over the Festool ROS. Based on some responses to a question I posted on the Yahoo Festool Users group about this issue (see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FestoolOwnersGroup/message/1058) I got another adaptor from them; they were kind enough to just mail it me free of charge. It's a rubber sleeve, but it's too large and doesn't help with the problem. If you had a piece of rubber sleeve or a flex hose that had an ID of 1" you could mate the Festool with the step adaptor. Maybe the easiest (what Bob Marino recommended) would be to pick up a Festool hose for about $40. I haven't gone that route yet because I plan to get a Festool vac at some point and hate having so many hoses around a small shop. But I may end up just biting the bullet.
-Rob

Chris Padilla
12-29-2004, 5:29 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=130467&postcount=72

Sounds good, Scott! :) Did you get the 55 or the 65? I went back and forth on that choice. Did I want the extra 1/2" cutting depth and give up 4.4 lbs. to get it?? In the end, I went with the 65 to get a deeper cutting depth. I don't think I'll need to hoist this thing and cut on a wall or, gasp, overhead so I felt the extra weight/bulk would be okay to deal with. I also plunked down to get the 2700 mm (108") guide rail for easier sheetgood rips. If Festool only made the 108" a tad longer, it could've nearly gone the full diagnol on a 4x8 sheet of ply but I couldn't bring myself to get the next size guide rail just to handle that rare situation. I'll tie two guide rails together if I need one that long....

Scott Coffelt
12-29-2004, 6:47 PM
Chris, I went with the ATF-55. I have a Dewalt CC for when I need more depth. The main reason for the ATF-55 was to cut down sheet goods.

Does anyone know if the Festool hose will fit the Mini-Fein, it has the smaller size hose. If in the end I can't get it to work, I'll just have to order the CT-Mini and sell the Mini-Fein.

Chris Padilla
12-29-2004, 6:51 PM
Scott,

I am pretty sure John Miliunas has a Fein and got it work with his Festool stuff. He did pick up some adapter from Festool to do it...ping him.

Jim Becker
12-29-2004, 6:53 PM
Congratulations, Scott! Good purchase.

BTW, my understanding is that you can use a Festool hose with the Fein vac and it totally solves the "adapter" problem without using an "adapter". Talk to Uncle Bob about it...

Bob Marino
12-29-2004, 8:29 PM
Scott,

If the Fein Mini has a 2 1/4" dc port, as does the Fein ll, then it will fit.

Bob

Scott Coffelt
12-30-2004, 12:24 AM
I'll have to measure it, I know it the hose is smaller. I'll slip into the shop in the morning.