PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Vase

Allen stagg
11-14-2010, 9:22 PM
Made this recently and decided to post here finally. Used the Jamieson System to hollow out and was a job for sure. It was not balanced weight wise at all with the dark side heavy and the lighter outer wood, much lighter which made this turning a little more difficult than usual, but got er done anyway. The spalting looks great and the darker portions were still a little damp and wanted to crack as I holowed out, but was able to stop it with CA glue until I could dry thouroughly after turned. Finished with lot os laquer and yes, I love glass like finish myself. I know some don't, but it is as much as a challenge as the turning itself.

Baxter Smith
11-14-2010, 9:27 PM
Beautiful job Allen. Impressive wood and finish. I am not a huge fan of high gloss finishes but this one looks great on this piece of wood!

Josh Bowman
11-14-2010, 9:28 PM
Allen, I like the form and finish. My taste does not care for real shiny, but I think it works with this piece.
What's next?

Roger Chandler
11-14-2010, 9:33 PM
Allen,

Now that one really has the WOW factor! Beautifully grained wood! The finish is just exquisite.........love the shiny! Not easy to get this smooth and highly polished look..........

Thank you for posting.........what else have you been holding out on us? This is not the work of a rank amateur for sure! Keep 'em coming!

John Keeton
11-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Allen, welcome to the creek, and a great entry!! Very nice piece of work, and yes, a heavy lacquer finish like that is as much work as the turning!

Michael Short
11-14-2010, 10:17 PM
A very beautiful piece Allen. Love that glass finish too !!!

David DeCristoforo
11-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Woah! That's some shine! Nice HF too...

gary Zimmel
11-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Great way to make a splash in the Creek Allen! Welcome..

David E Keller
11-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Lovely form, fantastic wood, and a really shiny finish... Nicely done.

Richard Madden
11-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Looks good, Allen. What are the dimensions? I'm working on a couple of pieces now and having the same issue with out of balance. Certainly adds to the challenge!

Allen stagg
11-14-2010, 10:46 PM
This vessel is approximately 12" in diameter and about 14" in tall. It should have been a few inches taller for proportion and to look it's best. It looked great on the faceplate but after cutting off, I had wished it was a few inches taller. Still, the grain and spalting makes it look as good as it does. It is about 3/16" - 1/4" thick. Not one of my first projects, just my latest and first to post here.

Michael James
11-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Nice chunk of wood, love the form and I like the finish too. Im usually not a big fan, but when it's done right, it's hard to argue against it! Welcome, and nice entry piece
mj

Bill Bolen
11-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Wonderful intro piece Allen! Walnut sure lends itself to a high gloss finsih and I love the "dipped in glass" look on your piece. Welcome
....Bill....

Jim Burr
11-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Well done Allen! Finish is finish and we all have our preferences. I agree with your height assessment, or maybe a little narrower base could have provided the same result? I'm just breaking into HF's so this is just a ramble. Excellent job and welcome!