PDA

View Full Version : LN LA Jointer vs. LN BD Jointer Planes

Tony Shea
11-14-2010, 4:48 PM
I am finally in the market for a quality jointer plane other than my Stanley who's sole is not flat and do not plan of making it flat. Far too much work that may or may not get it to where I want it.

Anyways, I have a gift cert for LN therefore my choice needs to stay with them. I asked in another thread about how a guy liked his BU jointer plane. He said that he would have prefered a typical BD version. I don't currently own any BU planes and thought this would be my chance as I would also use it for my shooting board, not that typical BD planes don't work at this. In fact I have great results with my #5 LN jack plane on my board.

If given the choice, which version would all around here choose especially if you don't already have any BU planes to begin with? I also like the fact that the BU plane is a bit cheaper but this is in no way a deciding factor.

John Stan
11-14-2010, 5:27 PM
I have the LN BU jointer and like it. I also have 607 Bedrock BD which I like. Frankly, I feel I can accomplish the same result with both. They both will take razor thin shavings or thick shavings based on the need. The BU is nice because I can easily adjust the blade angle to match the wood I am planing. Both planes have enough mass to tackle any planing task.
-John

Jim R Edwards
11-14-2010, 8:56 PM
I prefer bevel up planes.

Jon Banquer
11-14-2010, 9:10 PM
I prefer bevel up planes.

Why do you prefer bevel up planes?

Jim R Edwards
11-14-2010, 11:45 PM
I like the balance of the planes. They feel like the have a lower center of gravity.

They are a simple plane with less parts. No frog or chipbreaker to mess with.

Thicker blades which I find easier to sharpen.

Very easy to change the bevel of the blade to handle different woods.

Adjustable mouth allowing for thick or thin shavings.

Cheaper!

These are just my opinions and I know that I am in the minority but I just like them better than bevel down planes.

Shlomo Hoffmann
11-15-2010, 8:13 AM
My BU LN-62 is my favorite of all the planes I have (quite a few) and is my go-to for just about any job. It is VERY versatile, a true Jack-Of-All-Trades... I love the Stanley-based traditional tote and find it VERY comfortable in use...

As a bevel-up plane, angle-of-attack can be easily adapted via proper iron; can be used for traditional smoothing or high-angle for difficult wood; can be used for rapid difficult-stock removal via toothed iron; and - excellent as a shooting-board plane, with or without a hot-dog attachment.

Just my favorite... This will be the last plane will let go...

Bob Jones
11-15-2010, 10:08 AM
I prefer bd because I think they are easier to adjust.

David Weaver
11-15-2010, 10:17 AM
If given the choice, which version would all around here choose especially if you don't already have any BU planes to begin with? I also like the fact that the BU plane is a bit cheaper but this is in no way a deciding factor.

BD jointer for the following reasons:
1) camber is much easier, less metal to remove
2) the lateral adjustment is smoother (to me at least)
3) the wear bevel on the iron is a lot shorter, and relief angle can be greater than the bed angle on a LA plane if you want

Subjectively, the feel of the long bevel down planes is nicer, maybe they have a higher center of gravity. I like a BU plane for end grain, just not for general use.

One other thing to consider is that you will often hear of the ease of changing bevel angles on a BU plane. The same can be done on a BD plane, it just has to be done to the back of the bevel, and it can be done with a razor thin small back bevel that can be honed off easily. Plus, you have the option of setting the chipbreaker right on the edge and doing that instead of adding a bevel on the back of the iron - it'll get you to the same place if it's set right to reduce tearout on non-hogging work - harder to push, but no mess to clean up.

LN jointers are extremely nice planes to use, my favorite of all of the manufactured planes (all sizes, etc). They are also a size of plane that's not easy to make on your own should you decided to make some of your own later.

It's not like either plane can't do good work, though.

Zach England
11-15-2010, 1:58 PM
I do not own any LN jointer planes, but I do have a veritas bevel-up jointer and a vintage 7 and 8. I like to have both because I can use the bevel-up for operations for which I do not want a camber (like jointing two boards side-by-side) and can use the 7 or 8 for operations for which I do want a camber (deeper cut or a surface I don't want to go over with a smoothing plane). I do have an extra 55-degree blade for the bevel-up jointer that I have always intended to grind with a camber to be able to take advantage of the high angle and camber at the same time, but I have never needed it so I have never bothered to grind the blade.

Jim Koepke
11-15-2010, 2:11 PM
I don't currently own any BU planes and thought this would be my chance as I would also use it for my shooting board, not that typical BD planes don't work at this. In fact I have great results with my #5 LN jack plane on my board.

This is why I would vote for the BU. Yes, a BD works fine on a shooting board, but once you get a BU cutting properly on a shooting board, you will never want to go back.

My other suggestion would be to look into the Stanley jointer and see how bad the sole really may be. It may not be that hard to get into shape.

I like my Stanley/Bailey planes for jointing, but sometimes use the LN #62 on face and edge work. They can all do the same work, it is just sometimes one seems to be better suited to the job at hand.

Sorry, there is no "one answer fits all situations" for this question.

jtk