PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraving Type III Anodized Aluminum

James McMulllian
11-14-2010, 2:27 PM
I am currently in the market for a laser to mark some parts that have been type III hard coat anodized. Does anybody know what the minimum laser wattage is that will properly mark this type coating. Most of the literature I see just says "anodized aluminum" and the vendors that I have spoke with are unsure.

Gary Hair
11-14-2010, 3:19 PM
I am currently in the market for a laser to mark some parts that have been type III hard coat anodized. Does anybody know what the minimum laser wattage is that will properly mark this type coating. Most of the literature I see just says "anodized aluminum" and the vendors that I have spoke with are unsure.

I'm not sure what "type III hard coat anodized" means, but my 30 watt laser marks anodized aluminum with ease, almost any laser you could buy will mark anodized aluminum. If you have samples of that specific material send it to the laser resellers along with a sample file and ask them to laser it and return. The sample will speak for itself.

Gary

Scott Shepherd
11-14-2010, 3:25 PM
There is a BIG difference in anodized and Hard Coat Anodized. I have tried hard coated before with 45 watts and didn't leave a mark, but I wasn't trying to do anything but engrave something I thought was just anodized. Once I saw it was hard coat, I didn't mess with it any more.

It's very hard.

James McMulllian
11-14-2010, 3:50 PM
There is a BIG difference in anodized and Hard Coat Anodized. I have tried hard coated before with 45 watts and didn't leave a mark, but I wasn't trying to do anything but engrave something I thought was just anodized. Once I saw it was hard coat, I didn't mess with it any more.

It's very hard.

That is what I was afraid of. I have seen lasered type III parts so there must be some wattage that will burn them.

I can't send anything out for sample because these are firearm parts and none of the laser resellers possess the appropriate license to receive them.

Tim Bateson
11-14-2010, 4:07 PM
I've done a few hardened anodized pieces - firearms. If I recall, it was something like 10 speed.

James McMulllian
11-14-2010, 5:19 PM
I've done a few hardened anodized pieces - firearms. If I recall, it was something like 10 speed.

On the engraver listed in your sig?

Tim Bateson
11-14-2010, 10:27 PM
On the engraver listed in your sig?
Yes, but that's a guess. Only did them a few times & I lost the settings I had written down (didn't transfer from old computer). I do know it was unbelievably slow to get a decent marking.

Dan Hintz
11-15-2010, 7:32 AM
Tim has the answer... you have to go slow (or use a bigger-than-average cartridge). Type III is 3-5 times as thick as Type II, but in the end it's the same concept for coating the material, so you just need more power. If you want any speed on such a project (assuming it's repeat business), you'd probably want nothing less than a 60W cartridge to allow for fast processing. As Tim has shown, you can get away with a 30-35W, but you had better pack a lunch.

Kyle Billingsley
11-15-2010, 8:29 AM
I did an AR15 Lower Receiver a while back. They are hard anodized. If I remember correctly, I got a away with standard anodized settings for my 60 Watt. 100s35p
http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af131/cudakid1967/DSCN0451.jpg

James McMulllian
11-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Perfect. Thank you.

I did an AR15 Lower Receiver a while back. They are hard anodized. If I remember correctly, I got a away with standard anodized settings for my 60 Watt. 100s35p
http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af131/cudakid1967/DSCN0451.jpg

Gary Hair
11-15-2010, 11:21 AM
I didn't realize the AR receiver was hard anodized. I also engrave one with my 30 watt machine and it turned out perfect at my "normal" anodized aluminum settings.

Gary

Kyle Billingsley
11-15-2010, 11:36 AM
From Bushmaster's site:
"* Protective finish: Hard Anodize Military A8625, Type III, Class 2 finish (lusterless, flat, approximate Black No. 36118 Table IX). We do not paint our receivers."

Other manufactures may vary but I believe this is Mil-Spec, so it should be the standard for any AR-15/M16 type firearm.