PDA

View Full Version : A Milestone for me... I flattened a board.

Bill Huber
11-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Now I know this is old hat for the guys that do it all the time but for me it is a milestone.

I have tried in the past to flatten a twisted board with no success. It would always come out as bad as I started with or ever worse.

I had an 8/4 x 6" x 15" block of purple heart and I was working on a small project and needed a 1/2" board. So I re-sawed the purple heart and after it set for 2 days I found it to be twisted.

So I can just scrap it and get a new board or I can try again to flatten a board. Did some searching on the Creek, found some good info and fired up the jointer.

Using my paddle push sticks and applying the pressures in right places as suggested on the Creek and after a few passes it was flat... WOW Put the flat side down on the planner and in a very short time I had a really nice FLAT 1/2" x 6" x 15" purple heart.

THANK YOU SAWMILL CREEK........

Neil Brooks
11-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Having the tools, the know-how, and the patience to salvage a funky board like that is a pretty satisfying feeling, isn't it ?

Well done.

David G Baker
11-14-2010, 1:08 PM
Congratulations Bill. I am still waiting for the day that I get that satisfaction.

Bill Huber
11-14-2010, 2:31 PM
Having the tools, the know-how, and the patience to salvage a funky board like that is a pretty satisfying feeling, isn't it ?

Well done.

It sure is, it really makes you feel good when its done and it worked.

Bill Huber
11-14-2010, 2:38 PM
Congratulations Bill. I am still waiting for the day that I get that satisfaction.

I was at the point that I was just going to say the heck with and never try it to flatten a board again, but then with this board it just was not a big thing and if I screwed it up no big loss, it was more or less scrap.

So now I am wanting to find some of those type boards again so I can do it again.

Maybe my little jointer is worth more then just a boat anchor.

Eiji Fuller
11-14-2010, 6:09 PM
That's how its done. Nice job Bill.