PDA

View Full Version : Elm NE

bob svoboda
11-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Elm-not sure-American or Siberian I would guess. Approx 6 x 4. WOP and Beall buffed. Almost managed to keep all the bark on. This will be a gift for the nice people who gave me a bunch of this wood that was destined for their firewood pile.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-14-2010, 1:44 PM
Bob. again nice job on the NE. Keep up the good work.:)

John Keeton
11-14-2010, 2:27 PM
Nice piece, Bob! I am no help on the species as far as American vs. Siberian. It does look like elm, though!

David E Keller
11-14-2010, 8:05 PM
Nice work. I like the little foot... It gives the piece some lift.

Bernie Weishapl
11-14-2010, 8:10 PM
Really nice NE Bob. Really nice form and finish.

James Combs
11-14-2010, 8:16 PM
Elm-not sure-American or Siberian I would guess. Approx 6 x 4. WOP and Beall buffed. Almost managed to keep all the bark on. This will be a gift for the nice people who gave me a bunch of this wood that was destined for their firewood pile.

Bob did you do any special treatment for the bark such as a CA soak? When you are using WOP do you apply it to the bark too?

I don't know species outside of maple, walnut, cherry or oak but that is some beautiful coloring in the wood.

Baxter Smith
11-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Pretty bowl. I have never turned elm. My cousin is cutting a couple dead ones this winter so hopefully that will change!

George Guadiane
11-15-2010, 7:56 AM
Very nice bowl!
Wet elm doesn't smell that good when turned, but I really love the way elm looks, especially burls.

Nice centering in the grain.

Dennis Ford
11-15-2010, 8:12 AM
Well done!

bob svoboda
11-15-2010, 8:58 AM
Bob did you do any special treatment for the bark such as a CA soak? When you are using WOP do you apply it to the bark too?

I don't know species outside of maple, walnut, cherry or oak but that is some beautiful coloring in the wood.

James,
I didn't do anything special to the bark (except glue on one piece that I lost) I rough turned in in March, soaked in DNA, and bagged. I did sort of soak the bark edge in WOP, but avoided that area when buffing.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.
Bob

Ray Bell
11-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Very nice Bob.