PDA

View Full Version : A Puzzle

bob svoboda
11-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Monkey Puzzle that is. This logs pith was so punky that it was basically a longitudinal hole through the wood before I touched it. The wood was a challenge-soft, tended to tear out badly etc etc. I put it aside several times, but just couldn't let it go. The one thing I was not able to commit to was a way to deal with the hole at the bottom. The last photo shows what I have come up with so far, but I am far from satisfied with it. I would welcome suggestions and ways you may have handled a similar piece. The vessel itself is approx. 4.5 x 4.5 finished with 6 coats of WOP and waiting to be Beall buffed. With the (analine dyed maple) pedestal and lid it measures 8 x 4.5.

David DeCristoforo
11-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Looks like trying to turn a coconut husk! It's very interesting wood (it is wood isn't it?) Your solution to the hole in the base is spot on. You might not like that particular base but the idea is good. The top looks a bit heavy to me but I like the overall shape. Maybe if the second "step" were reduced in diameter it would lighten it up a bit.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-14-2010, 1:39 PM
Bob, this is very interesting wood. I am so glad you kept on keeping on. Great job.:)