PDA

View Full Version : Gourd-O

David DeCristoforo
11-14-2010, 11:43 AM
My wife buys produce from many of the local farmers and there is this one guy (his name is Guy) who has been bringing in these strange looking squashes. He has a passion for "heirloom varieties" and he goes to other countries seeking them out. Then he brings the seeds back and reestablishes them here. I was jokingly saying to my wife that I should try turning some of them. We were getting a good laugh thinking about what me, my lathe and the "walls" of my shop would look like after getting a catch trying to turn a pumpkin!

The other night we were kicking back on the couch and I was looking over at the table where I have some of the things I have made recently. From that vantage point, I could see one of them "superimposed" over the one behind it and if I squinted I could kind of make them combine into one shape.

I'm afraid those two thoughts have combined in my subconscious mind and the result is this. I'm not quite sure what to think about it but here it is for what it's worth.

167197 167198

Nate Davey
11-14-2010, 11:45 AM
I like the shape and the wood is beautiful. Maybe you could put some dried pumpkin seeds in it as an accessory.

bob svoboda
11-14-2010, 11:46 AM
I like it. Very creative.

Jim Burr
11-14-2010, 11:47 AM
The stem is very nice...since I can't do a stem like that...it's exceptional! I think it was a fun project...I mean, why not?

David DeCristoforo
11-14-2010, 12:08 PM
"The stem is very nice..."

I think the base is too "flat". I may turn another base that has more of an ogee shape...

Steve Schlumpf
11-14-2010, 12:08 PM
That's an interesting variation on a NE goblet - pretty cool! Did you dye the inside or burn the edges or something?

Ken Glass
11-14-2010, 12:11 PM
David,
Great imagination and a nice pedestal for an added feature. I like the dark interior of the gourd and the pedestal color is great as well. Well Done.

David DeCristoforo
11-14-2010, 12:13 PM
"Did you dye the inside..."

Well I was playing with yellow and green dyes, trying to get that "gourd" color. It worked out OK on the outside but the inside looked pukey. So I dyed it with a very dark red and did the rim with it also. Probably not at all what it looks like on the inside of a gourd...

Christopher K. Hartley
11-14-2010, 1:31 PM
David, nice job. I like what you've done here.:)

John Keeton
11-14-2010, 2:25 PM
David, very interesting take on your form, and I agree on the base - a little more curvature would be a nice addition. Excellent work - as is always the case with your turnings!!;)

David DeCristoforo
11-14-2010, 3:50 PM
"...on the base - a little more curvature would be a nice addition..."

I'm workin' on it...

Ken Hill
11-14-2010, 5:56 PM
Im pretty tired and had to re-read your first post, I thought you had turned a Gourd:D

I like it!

David DeCristoforo
11-14-2010, 7:15 PM
"...had to re-read your first post, I thought you had turned a Gourd"

I hate to admit it but I actually considered trying it...

James Combs
11-14-2010, 7:21 PM
"...had to re-read your first post, I thought you had turned a Gourd"

I hate to admit it but I actually considered trying it...

:):):):) lol and a nice form.

Curt Fuller
11-14-2010, 7:40 PM
I like it! And I think I know exactly the type of gourd/squash you're were looking at. The entire piece is nice. I think you're developing your own signature style on the pedestals and it looks good to me.

Scott Hackler
11-14-2010, 7:44 PM
Looks good to me! I like the detail you put on the top of the pedestal.

Bernie Weishapl
11-14-2010, 7:46 PM
Very nice piece David. Really like the form on that one.

brian watts
11-14-2010, 8:51 PM
look very nice to me..

Sean Hughto
11-14-2010, 9:09 PM
I think mother nature is an awesome designer. Hard to improve on her shapes and curves. I think you ought to find some favorite gourds and seek to use their curves and shapes.

There was an articlee in the new AAW mag where a fellow shows practicing skew work with vegitables like carrots and rutabaga. Seriously.

Roger Chandler
11-14-2010, 9:40 PM
That pedestal...........distinctively DeCristoforo! Nice one again, David!

Baxter Smith
11-14-2010, 9:49 PM
Pretty wood and I like colors you have chosen. I am looking forward to seeing your revised base. JMO but I think if it tied in a little more with the curves of your hollowform it would fit together a little better in my eye.

David DeCristoforo
11-14-2010, 10:17 PM
"... I meant was that next time I might make the base somewhat larger in diameter..."

That's what I'm thinking....

"...a fellow shows practicing skew work with vegitables like carrots and rutabaga..."

Great idea... I'm gonna pick up some beetabegas tomorrow...

Roger Chandler
11-14-2010, 10:21 PM
I think mother nature is an awesome designer. Hard to improve on her shapes and curves. I think you ought to find some favorite gourds and seek to use their curves and shapes.

There was an articlee in the new AAW mag where a fellow shows practicing skew work with vegitables like carrots and rutabaga. Seriously.

Sean,

Speaking of vegetables, I saw a turning video on youtube that had Rex and Kip, with one of their daughters and he was using a gouge on a potato and peeling off curly fries :D They fried them right there in the workshop with a deep fryer on the workbench...................your comment just brought it back to memory, and it brought a couple of chuckles to me.

Tom Sherman
11-15-2010, 12:55 PM
David this is another excellent piece in a growing line of em. I like it.

David DeCristoforo
11-15-2010, 1:32 PM
"... using a gouge on a potato and peeling off curly fries..."

I've seen this video and it is very amusing. I just love the way the curls come off that spud!