PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get a new Range for da little woman

Leo Graywacz
11-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Has anyone purchase this one from LG? No one has it in stock in my area so I can't do a hands on looksee. Also, couldn't find any reviews online.

LG Electronics 30 in. Self-Cleaning Freestanding Double Oven Electric Range
Model # LDE3017ST

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/22/2274231b-0523-4bd7-a005-da33e40cb8b6_300.jpg

Or what about this one?

The GE Profile or Adora series?

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/8b/8b26b5fa-7f1e-442e-9bad-2b7dacc13b29_300.jpg

This one had mixed review, nothing in between. Either it was great or it sucked. Hard to make a choice with such polar reviews.

Any insight would be helpful.:D

Ben Franz
11-14-2010, 12:10 PM
I can't address the LG range questions but I do have an opinion about LG appliances based on ONE refrigerator I've owned for 4+ years. That opinion is: Run, run away quickly. Admittedly anecdotal, I've had performance issues (frozen contents in one crisper drawer unless freezer and refrigerator temperatures are increased to unsafe levels) and durability issues (4 different interior components have broken or cracked in normal, adult only usage). Just my opinion - YMMV.

Pat Germain
11-14-2010, 3:08 PM
Hi Leo,

I just bought a new range yesterday. I had been looking at ranges for a few weeks before deciding.

I too was considering an LG model. Although, I was looking at convection gas and not a double oven. BestBuy actually had one on the floor. I took a good look at it and liked what I saw. I think LG is somewhat new to the kitchen range market which is why there are few reviews. I did find two reviews which concerned me. One woman reported a foul odor which would not go away after several weeks. Another reported constant error codes which made the oven shut down and not work until it was reset. So, I'm not sure what to make of those reports.

Based on my research, Frigidaire is a very reliable brand. Combining this with a very good discount and 18 months 0% interest at Lowe's convinced me to buy a Frigidaire. If you're interested in the incentives from Lowe's, Home Depot or BestBuy, you will have to hurry. I'm pretty sure they are Veteran's Day sales which expire tomorrow (Monday).

I personally do not like GE appliances. Consumer Reports has consistently rated their high-end models very positively. But GE also makes a lot of crap which has scared me off the brand. One advantage of GE ranges is they have a lot of models with pretty much any combination of features you could want.

I was looking at a Frigidaire double-oven model at Lowe's. But the second oven was very small and at the bottom. I don't know if they make a model with a second oven on top.

I do know Kitchen Aid makes a very nice double oven range with a smaller oven on top. Kitchen Aid is somewhat proud of their products, but they are a good brand in my experience. (In case you're not aware, Kitchen Aid is Whirlpool's high end line.)

Dave Lehnert
11-14-2010, 3:55 PM
Just FYI.

Who makes what

http://www.appliance411.com/parts/make.shtml

Alan Trout
11-14-2010, 4:04 PM
LG appliances are horrible. Stay away as Ben said. GE are typically pretty good and Bosch makes a really nice well made range.

Good Luck

Alan

Leo Graywacz
11-14-2010, 4:11 PM
Bosch doesn't seem to make a double range. The make a double oven though.

Dan Friedrichs
11-14-2010, 4:19 PM
LG appliances are horrible.

+1. I have a house full of new LG appliances. Worst dishwasher I've ever owned - nothing gets clean. Worst refrigerator ever - stuff in the back is frozen, stuff in the front is warm. Worst oven ever - takes 20 minutes to preheat, the finish is discolored from the location of the vent, the interface is horribly nonsensical, the convection fan makes the whole thing vibrate, etc.

Absolute junk.

Pat Germain
11-14-2010, 8:23 PM
Gee, these first hand reports on LG appliances are disconcerting. I'm glad I opted for the Frigidaire over the LG for my new range.

FYI, this month's issue of Consumer Reports has an article about ranges. But I've never seen them rate higher-end convection ranges, blast it. They do basic ranges with one or two commercial ranges and nothing in-between. Anyway, the Frigidaire brand has a very low rate of repair in that article, as do GE and Kenmore.

Kenmore also offers many different models with many different features. I'm just not a fan of Sears. But hey, don't let that stop you, Leo. If you don't mind Sears, you can probably find a very nice range with all the features you want in a Kenmore brand. According to the link Dave posted, Kenmore appliances are being made GE, Whirlpool and Frigidaire these days.

Pat Germain
11-14-2010, 8:28 PM
Bosch doesn't seem to make a double range. The make a double oven though.

I also looked at Bosch models early on. (I have a Bosch dishwasher that spanks all over any other dishwasher I've ever owned.) Unfortunately, I couldn't find a Bosch 30" range with all the features I wanted. As I recall, I couldn't even find one with five burners.

Chris Damm
11-15-2010, 8:09 AM
Didn't LG used to be called Goldstar? They were some of the worst ever made!

Bill Huber
11-15-2010, 8:26 AM
I really don't know how good LG is but I do know if you have to have them worked on, there goes that new tool for the shop.

Friend had an LG dishwasher, top of the line model it started to not run all the way though a cycle some of the time.

They wanted $400 for the new control panel plus labor to install it. It did come with a 90 day warranty.

I helped them install the new Maytag.

Alan Trout
11-15-2010, 9:09 AM
I get to look at appliances every day as a Professional Home Inspector. Like I said before anything with the LG label is horrible. You might also look at the Maytag. It of course is owned by whirlpool now but I have seen and checked them and they work pretty good. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Maytag+range&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11207265341074524905&ei=6zzhTMrsMMaqlAe03ZyiAw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=8&ved=0CFcQ8gIwBw#

I may be kind of weird but I do not like the double oven ranges. Neither oven is as big as I like. I personally have a Viking Range which the Oven is huge but if I had to do it again I woud get the Thermadore as I find them better built and overall nicer units. Of course mine is gas and they do get kind or crazy on price and in reality they are very simple compared to some ranges you are looking at but they just work well. High BTU.

Good Luck on your search,

Alan

Scott Brihn
11-15-2010, 9:11 AM
We had a top of the line LG dishwasher - lasted 30 months before we needed to replace it.

Mike Circo
11-15-2010, 9:28 AM
First, give serious consideration if you REALLY want a double oven. Several friends of mine have them and regret the purchase. Seems to be a good idea in concept, but poorly executed in a small kitchen applicance. The need for dual ovens is rare, but the loss of one large oven space is often an issue. Unless you have experience with double ovens, I'd pass.

As to brands, as said before, I have a two year old Frigidare and love it. I can find no design or performance issues with the range or oven. I've had several GE appliances and say "meh" to them.

Good luck.

Leo Graywacz
11-15-2010, 10:11 AM
This is what we've been using for 23 years. My parents gave it to us when I was 24

http://fototime.com/8E3E76D92CDC3E5/standard.jpg

David Weaver
11-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Parts for viking can be an issue, can't they (if you want to get them yourself). I don't have one, but do know someone who has one and has igniter issues - once the burner is on the igniter continues to tick the entire time it's on. It's happened twice, and I could be mistaken, but I recall the guy saying that it was conveyed to him as a "known problem", but he wasn't allowed to just buy the parts to fix it, it had to be fixed by a factory technician - $150 or so each time, same burner.

I also don't like the double ranges that much, same reason you stated. They also seem to be more problematic in reliability reports, and come at a high cost.

An independent appliance store guy here told me that the basic machines that the manufacters make in the highest volumes usually have the least trouble. CR said the same thing, as does clark howard - one of them mentioned that the high volume models get more attention when it comes to R&D, especially with respect to reliability.

Leo Graywacz
11-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Well, a commercial stove is out of the question. Not going to pay 4 grand for a stove.

We have lived with a double oven for over 20 years. Having my wife give it up is pretty much out of the question. The kitchen really doesn't have the room for a wall oven or a double wall oven, nor do I wish to pay for them. Sorry, it is just food and my wife is a good cook but doesn't need chef quality cooking equipment.

It looks like all of the double ovens are really to new to the market to get a good feel reom any reviews. Plus I agree that the units that sell the most will have the least problems.

I was looking at a Fridgidare unit and it seemed to have a good review, nice features and was about 1600 bucks. The only thing it didn't have, and I really can't imagine why they aren't forced to put this on them, is the little light that indicates the surface is still hot atfer the top has been turned off. Not quite a deal breaker, but would really like to get a stove that has it.

David Weaver
11-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Well, a commercial stove is out of the question. Not going to pay 4 grand for a stove.

We have lived with a double oven for over 20 years. Having my wife give it up is pretty much out of the question. The kitchen really doesn't have the room for a wall oven or a double wall oven, nor do I wish to pay for them. Sorry, it is just food and my wife is a good cook but doesn't need chef quality cooking equipment.

It looks like all of the double ovens are really to new to the market to get a good feel reom any reviews. Plus I agree that the units that sell the most will have the least problems.

I was looking at a Fridgidare unit and it seemed to have a good review, nice features and was about 1600 bucks. The only thing it didn't have, and I really can't imagine why they aren't forced to put this on them, is the little light that indicates the surface is still hot atfer the top has been turned off. Not quite a deal breaker, but would really like to get a stove that has it.

After saying that, I looked at their prices, and they are closer to the single ovens than they used to be. Plus, if the wife has had one and has become accustomed to using it, then that's 100% positive justification for it, at least in my opinion. Cheap price to keep peace.

I also agree about commercial, I would personally never spend the money, though I do like to observe the stoves when other people bought them :D. The only thing I ever feel the need for is more power on the burners (in terms of consumer vs. commercial), but it's something I can live with. If commercial were more robust in terms of longevity and reliability, maybe it would be different, but if they cost more to get and (lots) more to maintain, then I just don't get it unless someone is obsessive about cooking in a semi-commercial environment. I would call anyone who spends $75k on a kitchen obsessive (referring to folks I know), but I realize that after the last real-estate runup, that there are people who have spent a lot more than that.

Leo Graywacz
11-26-2010, 10:09 PM
The deed is done.

Sears had a nice sale on the Kenmore Elite (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02297502000P?prdNo=12&blockNo=12&blockType=L12). $500 off (25%) 3.9 stars with 16 reviews (http://www.mysears.com/Kenmore-Elite-30-quot-Freestanding-Electric-Range-9802--303733-reviews). 1 review was a I hate this stove and 3 had some problems that were promptly fixed. The rest raved about it. Has the features I wanted, convection, indicator for a hot top, dual oven, self clean and it has a rapid boil burner. Ordered it and have to pick it up in 5-7 days after it gets delivered to my local Sears.

http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/02297502000?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0& resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Now I guess you guy think I should build a kitchen around a range, huh?

Pat Germain
11-26-2010, 11:38 PM
I know Mrs. Leo will be very happy with that range. As I said, Kenmore has lots of options and it looks like you found just what you wanted.

Leo Graywacz
11-26-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm a bit nervous. Buying something online sight unseen is not what I like to do. But, it isn't in any of the stores in my area so even if I went the the local Sears I would have been in the same situation. We will find out when it arrives.

Pat Germain
11-27-2010, 9:40 AM
I also bought my range sight unseen. In my area, retailers have very few gas ranges on the floor because most homes cook with electricity. But the new range exceeded all my expectations.

Be sure to check the model number when your new range is delivered. Retailers are notorious for delivering the wrong merchandise; sometimes in the customer's favor when a higher end item shows up.

Leo Graywacz
11-27-2010, 9:48 AM
A higher end one would be nice, but I am not sure if one exists. I found two of them that were $100 apart from each other and I couldn't figure out what the difference was.

Leo Graywacz
11-27-2010, 10:07 AM
I finally found the dimensions of the lower oven. It stated the upper oven clearly. The lower oven is bigger than the oven I currently use. Taller by 1/2" and wider by 3 1/2", same depth. And this is usable space, my current oven has the broiler and bake elements that are inside the cavity and take up 5/8" space each reducing the overall height by 1 1/4" So the new oven will be bigger and take up less space than the current one.

The second oven on my current oven is much bigger than the second oven on the new oven.

Leo Graywacz
11-30-2010, 8:20 AM
Got the range. Correct model from the store, came in 2 days early. Had a buddy come by to help me get the old one out to the curb and the new one into its spot. I had rewired the circiut from and aluminum 6-6-6 3 wire system to a copper 6/3 4 wire system just a few days ago and got a 4 wire whip.

So I wire the whip into the stove and plugged it in. It beeped (yea!) Pushed the stove back in place and it wouldn't go against the wall because the plug was in the way. Shut down the power and moved the plug (surface mount). Still in the way. I just moved the stove until it slipped in nice, we will deal with the plug another day when I have some tools at the house.

Played with the stove and figured out how to do most everything without having to read the booklet. Pretty simple. Now I will just have to get use to cooking on a radiant cooktop. And we will see how many dinner the little woman ruins while getting use to the convection oven.

So far I am pleased.

So, what did we have for dinner that night?

McDonalds

Left the house to get the stove at 5, got back at 6, waited for my cuddy to show and get the stove hooked up. Do the 1/2 hour burn in on the stove to get rid of any oils and dirt. By then it was 7:45. And tonight we are going out for dinner for my wifes birthday. Eventually we will use the stove.

Rick Moyer
11-30-2010, 8:58 AM
The deed is done.

Sears had a nice sale on the Kenmore Elite (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02297502000P?prdNo=12&blockNo=12&blockType=L12). $500 off (25%) 3.9 stars with 16 reviews (http://www.mysears.com/Kenmore-Elite-30-quot-Freestanding-Electric-Range-9802--303733-reviews). 1 review was a I hate this stove and 3 had some problems that were promptly fixed. The rest raved about it. Has the features I wanted, convection, indicator for a hot top, dual oven, self clean and it has a rapid boil burner. Ordered it and have to pick it up in 5-7 days after it gets delivered to my local Sears.

http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/02297502000?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0& resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Now I guess you guy think I should build a kitchen around a range, huh?
We just bought the same one (only black and one oven; well I guess it isn't the "same" then is it?). So far so good. A little more complicated than the old spiral burner simple one we had before. Had it about two months maybe so far. I think you will like it.

Leo Graywacz
11-30-2010, 9:12 AM
It is just a color. Same guts. Glad to hear you had good luck with it. Hoping for the same. Have you used the cakes and breads setting on the oven yet? Does it make any difference?

Cary Falk
12-02-2010, 6:29 AM
We have a whirlpool stove and a Kenmore fridge. I won't be doing that again. The igniter on the stove keeps burning out(ew don't use it that much) and the LED display is flaky. I have replaced all of the temp controls in the fridge and it still does not work right. Sorry, I know nothing about LG appliances.

Rick Moyer
12-02-2010, 2:17 PM
It is just a color. Same guts. Glad to hear you had good luck with it. Hoping for the same. Have you used the cakes and breads setting on the oven yet? Does it make any difference?

Not sure who you were asking this, but if it was me.. my wife is an excellent cook but doesn't bake much so I don't know. Probably good she doesn't as I'm too fat already:o.

Leo Graywacz
12-02-2010, 4:48 PM
Not sure who you were asking this, but if it was me.. my wife is an excellent cook but doesn't bake much so I don't know. Probably good she doesn't as I'm too fat already:o.

Ya, I was asking you. You are never to fat to have another slice of cake cooked by your honey.:D

Greg Portland
12-02-2010, 5:55 PM
First, give serious consideration if you REALLY want a double oven. Several friends of mine have them and regret the purchase. Seems to be a good idea in concept, but poorly executed in a small kitchen applicance. The need for dual ovens is rare, but the loss of one large oven space is often an issue. Unless you have experience with double ovens, I'd pass.
+1. I would recommend a convection oven / microwave if you just occasionally need the 2nd oven (bake some potatoes, etc.). The GE Profile stuff is very nice & well reviewed. The regular GE is not so good.