PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Getting Started

Greg Starling
11-14-2010, 10:35 AM
I've been a lurker for a few months trying to absorb what I can from the knowledgable user base and finally decided to register to ask the question I've been pondering.

Background
I'm an art guy, and I've found a niche selling small laser engraved pieces of bamboo. These pieces are never larger than 8"x10"x2" and typically are smaller. I'm sub-contracting out the laser engraving to a local shop that is charging me $0.20/sq" of board.

So I'm adding $8-$15 per piece before I get it to my customer. The volume can be as many as 20 pieces a day (I typically send several to a single company - usually with their logo on it).

What I'm Looking For
Money is a concern in the sense that I don't want to over-buy. These products are -and will be for the foreseeable future- my only products. I want a machine that can:

Capture really great detail (www.grovemade.com engraves on iPhone cases the type of detail I need on my bamboo)
Handle up to 100 8x10 pieces a week.
It does not need to handle larger pieces.

I just want a machine that does everything I need, but nothing more. Right now, I don't even know the type of price-range is appropriate so I'm coming to the experts.

I am fairly handy and willing to spend the time it takes to get good with the laser. Like I said, I'm an art guy so that part of it is covered.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Daryl Gregg
11-14-2010, 11:21 AM
If I understand you correctly, you are paying $800/week or $2400 a month for services that a $12,000-$15,000 laser could easily do. It looks to me like in less then 9 months it would be paid off.

Joe Pelonio
11-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Have a look at the Epilog Website, the Zing entry level 12"x16" would handle your needs. I'd go for the 40 watt for bamboo, 30 would work but take a lot longer. from what I hear it's under $10,000 but you'd have to get the price from a local dealer or Epilog.

Greg Starling
11-14-2010, 12:25 PM
If I understand you correctly, you are paying $800/week or $2400 a month for services that a $12,000-$15,000 laser could easily do. It looks to me like in less then 9 months it would be paid off.
I don't always run at that capacity, but I need a machine that can knock out 20 a day for those orders that require it. I'm paying closer to $1000/month in engraving charges right now.

Greg Starling
11-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Have a look at the Epilog Website, the Zing entry level 12"x16" would handle your needs. I'd go for the 40 watt for bamboo, 30 would work but take a lot longer. from what I hear it's under $10,000 but you'd have to get the price from a local dealer or Epilog.
I was looking at the Epilog, but didn't know if it was too much machine or not since I'm not doing any cutting. I wasn't sure if there were good alternatives that were more specific to my needs.

Greg Starling
11-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Anyone know anything about Full Spectrum Engineering lasers?

http://www.fullspectrumengineering.com/co2laserv2-40w.html

I don't want to cheap out, but I also don't want to overpay.

Dee Gallo
11-14-2010, 1:11 PM
I don't know where you are located, but have you contacted a dealer to see if he has a used or demo laser for sale? I started with a very old used one, and bought a second used one to use as backup. Both served me well and were well worth the 1/2 price I paid!

cheers, dee

Larry Bratton
11-14-2010, 1:46 PM
Not sure, but I think one of our members is affiliated with this company. I thought the engraved photos on the site link looked familiar.
Refer to this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1542459#post1542459
Not an endorsement, just an interesting observation.

Joe Pelonio
11-14-2010, 6:53 PM
I was looking at the Epilog, but didn't know if it was too much machine or not since I'm not doing any cutting. I wasn't sure if there were good alternatives that were more specific to my needs.
There will come a day when you will want to cut, but I have never seen an "engrave only" machine except the early Chinese models that were very troublesome.

Any time you can buy business equipment with 6-8 month payback you are doing well.

Bill Cunningham
11-14-2010, 8:50 PM
If your spending even the 1K a month, your better off buying one.. My laser has more than paid for it self every year that I've owned it..
You already have a customer base, and that's the biggest hurdle overcome. Buying a laser without a pre-existing customer base is a pretty risky, and expensive step. Now a days, there are used lasers out there, mostly from folks that took that risky step based on the 'you'll make a fortune' pitch from knownothing sales people.

Greg Starling
11-14-2010, 10:42 PM
If your spending even the 1K a month, your better off buying one...
Agree 100%. I just want to understand which "one" I should get. Right now, I'm looking at:

Full Spectrum Engineering Mach3 40W
Epilog Zing 16 40W
Turnkey Laser
Anything else that I haven't found, but does the job

There is quite a price range in the above (like a decent used car different) so I want to make the best decision.

I also would appreciate any advice as to how to locate a used laser.

Larry Bratton
11-15-2010, 9:43 AM
Agree 100%. I just want to understand which "one" I should get. Right now, I'm looking at:

Full Spectrum Engineering Mach3 40W
Epilog Zing 16 40W
Universal VLS 2.30 30W
Anything else that I haven't found, but does the job

There is quite a price range in the above (like a decent used car different) so I want to make the best decision.

I also would appreciate any advice as to how to locate a used laser.
Try Access Business Solutions, they are members here and deal in used systems. Rob Bosworth
http://www.usedlasers.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

Mike Null
11-15-2010, 12:37 PM
I second Larry's suggestion.

Full Spectrum posted some things on this forum a few weeks ago which were of an advertising nature and therefore deleted. My opinion though, is that the examples they posted were less than satisfactory.

Martin Boekers
11-15-2010, 1:22 PM
If your not in too big of a hurry, check out any trade shows that may be
close to your area.

The ARA (mother of all shows:D) usually in Las Vegas in Feb, it will give
you a chance to see them all in action. Typically companies offer show
discounts so you may be able to negotiate with them. Some discount
the machines they use to demo.

I don't think you can over-buy when it comes to a laser;) just as you get
set up with a this-will-do, the unexpected project will come along and you
wish for a little more.

One thing about more power is you can run jobs faster that is a great benefit!

Marty

Jim Beachler
11-15-2010, 4:19 PM
I agree with Martin. Buy more power and speed and bed than you currently need as you will come up with new ideas for the laser in your business.

Getting more power and speed doesn't cost much more in the overall scheme.

Bill Cunningham
11-16-2010, 9:42 PM
Who's ever laser you buy, make sure support, and parts are available quickly.. Some Chinese importers are starting to realize this is a MUST if they're going to stay in business. I know if I call Epilog (3000 miles away) at 11am, I have the part in my hand by noon the next day.. Time 'IS' money!