PDA

View Full Version : Bottle stopper finish

Mike Newell
11-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Hello all,

I finished some bottle stoppers using the Beall buff system. After use on some chilled wine the finish seemed to be dull?

Any ideas why or suggestions for a better finish to use would be appreciated.

Thank you, Mike

(I know where is a finishing forum but felt the turners may be a better location for this question. Hope this is okay:))

Bernie Weishapl
11-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Mike I use Mylands Melamine Lacquer while still on the lathe and friction it on if I am in a hurry then buff. Most times I made a stand so to speak that I can put several stoppers on at one time and spray with deft lacquer. I have had no complaints in 4 yrs of doing them. The stand is a piece of 3/4" ply with finish nails partially nailed in and the stoppers sit on the nails and spray.

Steve Schlumpf
11-14-2010, 10:29 AM
In addition to using a brush-on lacquer on my stoppers - I use Renaissance wax instead of the carnuba that comes with the Beall system. The Ren wax does not show fingerprints and moisture does not dull the gloss as with carnuba.

Wally Dickerman
11-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Bottle stoppers take a beating. Tossed in a drawer and placed in a referator. The last few stoppers I made I tried a couple of coats of CA, applied like I do on pens. I finished with Ren. wax. Time will tell how well it works.

Wally

Mike Newell
11-14-2010, 2:06 PM
Thanks everyone,

Time for a trip to the store.

Mike

Jim Burr
11-14-2010, 4:13 PM
I've always gone with CA. The amount of abuse that stoppers take, and the temp variations dictate a rock hard finish