PDA

View Full Version : Internet in a car

Sean Troy
11-14-2010, 9:46 AM
How does one setup laptop internet for use while traveling in a vehicle?

Jerome Stanek
11-14-2010, 10:14 AM
you would need an adapter from your cell phone company. If you only need internet for short times you could stop at McDonalds they have free wifi

Matt Meiser
11-14-2010, 10:37 AM
The most common option is to get a USB wireless broadband adapter from cell phone carrier of your choice. Be aware that you are limited to 5GB of usage per month and the fees are steep if you go over.

If you only need it temporarily, you might get a device from Virgin Mobile which is pay-as-you-go. They've got a $40/mo option with no 5GB cap. But I've also read where people aren't getting close to advertised speeds.

Lastly, some cell phones have an option to connect to your laptop but you'd have to check your model and with your provider to see if it will work. As an example, Verizon's Droid X and Sprints EVO 4G both have built-in wifi hotspots, but at an additional monthly fee. I'm not sure about Verizon, but I know I can turn my service for the hot spot on and off by month so I only have to pay for months when I need it.

I guess there's one more option if you own selected Chrysler vehicles there's a dealer-installed accessory for a mobile wifi hotspot.

Mike Hicks
11-14-2010, 12:00 PM
We use a wireless modem from Verizon called a MIFI. It can be used with or without power depending on how much charge it has. I use a 400 watt inverter that I can plug my laptop and MIFI into. As long as I have a good cell connection I can surf up a storm. I have run into one place in a small town where I had cell phone but couldn't use the MIFI. As far as I know there isn't a limit to how long you can be on but I could be wrong. I have been on it quite a bit at times when using it in our rv and never had to pay additional charges. Probably something you should check out though.

Lance Norris
11-14-2010, 2:30 PM
The most common option is to get a USB wireless broadband adapter from cell phone carrier of your choice. Be aware that you are limited to 5GB of usage per month and the fees are steep if you go over.

I have a Verizon Wireless aircard for my laptop. Im on it now:D. It can also fit your PC card slot if your laptop has one. Mine is the PC card slot type. Matt is correct about the 5 gig cap, but I surf everyday on mine and never even come close to using 1 gig, so 5 gig really isnt much of a limit. I dont download movies or stuff like that, but for normal use, you will be fine. Most times you will have pretty good speed, but there are times that it can be slow. I travel all over the country and only once, in Nesmith SC, I couldnt get connected.

http://www.proxicast.com/shopping/image.php?object_type=product&image_id=1846

Sean Troy
11-14-2010, 3:45 PM
Thanks all for the info, Sean

Tony Joyce
11-14-2010, 4:18 PM
Unless you need the larger screen, an android device will do a lot or most of what can be done on a laptop. I've used my EVO for eBay, email, browse the web, upload video and pictures to my blog. There are a very wide variety of apps available for them. If I had bought my phone first I wouldn't have gotten my last laptop.

Tony

John Shuk
11-14-2010, 5:30 PM
use your new droid as a mobile hotspot!

Bryan Morgan
11-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Watch for boulders ;)

Jerome Stanek
11-15-2010, 7:12 AM
Just remember don't text and drive

Curt Harms
11-15-2010, 7:23 AM
'tethering' or 'cell phone tethering'. You should get a bunch of possibilities. I haven't had the need so haven't looked into this.

Sean Troy
11-15-2010, 8:18 AM
I have the Blackberry and it seems possible with the EDGE Wi_Fi it has. I know the Droids can run 5 laptops at once for mobile internet.

Tony Joyce
11-15-2010, 12:09 PM
I know the Droids can run 5 laptops at once for mobile internet.

That's probably only possible if you're in a 4G area. I would think it would be a big slow down on 3G. Although for just email it would probably work pretty well.