PDA

View Full Version : What do people in cold climates do for washer fluid?

Stephen Tashiro
11-13-2010, 10:30 PM
As far as I can tell, the window washer fluid for cars sold in my warm climate doesn't have any anti-freeze properties. What do people in cold climates do for window washer fluid? Or is it useless to them?

Brian Elfert
11-13-2010, 10:40 PM
I live in Minnesota and they sell two types of washer fluid. One is the regular blue stuff and the other is usually purple or orange and works down to colder temps.

I usually tell the folks who change my oil not to fill the washer fluid as I buy the more expensive stuff. The blue stuff will just freeze to the window when it gets real cold.

Dave Lehnert
11-13-2010, 10:44 PM
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/622569b.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
11-13-2010, 10:47 PM
You really have to look at it closely.

One is clearly marked "Windshield washer fluid".....the other is "Windshield washer anti-freeze". I have been bitten more than once because I didn't pay attention.......bought it.....put it in.....and watched my windshield washers freeze up because it was just plain washer fluid.

Darius Ferlas
11-13-2010, 11:19 PM
In Canada we use some very special windshield washer fluid, especially formulated for our climate. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for ;)

Jason Roehl
11-13-2010, 11:21 PM
I've found that simply adding a splash or two of DNA to summer formula washer fluid makes it both winter-usable, and a much better windshield cleaner. I'd say I add maybe up to 4 ounces per gallon at most, and it still seems to work fine even down to subzero temps.

Steve Schlumpf
11-13-2010, 11:54 PM
I live the upper peninsula of Michigan and winters here can be challenging! We have a number of brands of washer fluid but basically 2 types - a summer bug cleaning variety and a winter version that usually is good down to -20*. Problem with -20* is that is very easy to reach when you are driving 55 mph - so you have to pay attention as to when it would be safe to use the washer!

Here is an example of what is on sale this week at Menards.

George Bokros
11-14-2010, 7:35 AM
I live the upper peninsula of Michigan and winters here can be challenging! We have a number of brands of washer fluid but basically 2 types - a summer bug cleaning variety and a winter version that usually is good down to -20*. Problem with -20* is that is very easy to reach when you are driving 55 mph - so you have to pay attention as to when it would be safe to use the washer!

In Ohio we can get several brands that are good to -30, that's what I use. Rain-X I think goes that low. Anyway I do use the Rain-X brand and am happy with it.

Jerome Stanek
11-14-2010, 7:59 AM

What does driving at 55 have to do with the temp If it is 20 below and you drive at 55 it is still 20 below

Jason Roehl
11-14-2010, 8:14 AM
What does driving at 55 have to do with the temp If it is 20 below and you drive at 55 it is still 20 below

Increased air speed increases the evaporative cooling effect.

Jim O'Dell
11-14-2010, 9:53 AM
Increased air speed increases the evaporative cooling effect.

Wind chill is similar. Never thought of the evaporative cooling effect that actually lowers temps. Jim.

Rick Moyer
11-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Wind chill is similar. Never thought of the evaporative cooling effect that actually lowers temps. Jim.

Wind chill is a "perceived" temp change, not sure about the evaporative cooling effect idea, though.

Jerome Stanek
11-14-2010, 10:12 AM
I've never had that happen. If the fluid isn't frozen in the container it doesn't freeze on my windshield. Maybe it is by the time I get up to 55 the heater has warmed up my windshield. And no I don't let my truck warm up just get in start it let it run for a minute and drive slow for about a mile.

ray hampton
11-14-2010, 2:22 PM
at 55mph, the wind that your car create = 55 mph also but wind speed increase wind when going through a tunnel, I do not know what the wind-chill factor is for a 50 mph wind is but -20 degrees might be close

Pat Germain
11-14-2010, 2:26 PM
I've never had that happen. If the fluid isn't frozen in the container it doesn't freeze on my windshield. Maybe it is by the time I get up to 55 the heater has warmed up my windshield. And no I don't let my truck warm up just get in start it let it run for a minute and drive slow for about a mile.

This happens to me all the time. Even if I use the -20 fluid, if I use it when the windshield is cold, it freezes instantly. This is because it's so dry in Colorado, the fluid starts evaporating, and therefore cooling, very quickly.

Jason, other than my genetic fingerprint, what's DNA?

Jason Roehl
11-14-2010, 2:36 PM
DNA = DeNatured Alcohol. Ethyl Alcohol (ethanol) + a poisonous compound so that excise taxes don't apply, often methanol. In Canada, I hear it's referred to as "Methylated Spirits".

Rod Upfold
11-17-2010, 3:49 PM
I stop the car and get my wife to clean the windows.....LOL

Better not let her see that.

Rod

Matt Meiser
11-17-2010, 3:51 PM
I've switched to using the RainX stuff and they have summer and winter formulas. After using it a while, you get a nice coating of RainX, then you actually need less. And their summer one has an enzyme to break down bugs.

Steve Schlumpf
11-17-2010, 4:03 PM
You guys are right about the temp thing... if it is -20*, that's all it is going to be. I have had the washer fluid freeze on my windshield while driving when it was close to -10* but more than likely it was due to the mix of washer fluid being part summer/part winter.

I will have to look around and find some of the Rain-X and give that a try.