PDA

View Full Version : No. 24 - Cedar Cup&Saucer - "Critique Requested"

James Combs
11-13-2010, 9:53 PM
Ooops, now how did the saucer get there?:D:rolleyes:

I saw this piece of cedar in my scrap bin yesterday and thought it looked interesting but didn't have anything in mind for it and besides it was full of cracks. Well I decided to dose all the cracks with CA and wait until today to see what I might come up with to use it for. When I came into the shop today I saw it sitting there all CA stained and the thought of "cup & saucer" came to mind. This is the result. Not sure how the saucer ended up "up there" but hey....:rolleyes::D

Stats:
Material - Eastern Red Cedar
Height - 2-3/4"
Width - 6-1/4" (at widest points of saucer)
Opening - 3"
Walls - < 1/8" in places (had my laser set wrong - re-sharpened cutter and didn't recheck laser location)
Finish - still wet coat of rattle can poly.

Notes:
- Designs like this show the advantage of being able to reverse the location of the wheels on a steady rest.
- Only sanded to 240 - Too many cracks to take it too seriously.
- A glue on tenon came loose on this one also, 2nd one in as many days. Only thing I can think of as a cause is I changed CA vendors... I wonder...??

Nate Davey
11-13-2010, 10:11 PM
So that's the reason you would reverse the wheels. Nice form, too bad the cedar is so cracky.

David E Keller
11-13-2010, 10:41 PM
That's pretty cool. I love the coloring in that cedar... It almost looks like it's painted the way the heartwood 'bleeds' into the sapwood.

The outside curve near the saucer flattens out a little which draws my eye, but otherwise, it's a good looking piece.

Richard Madden
11-13-2010, 11:10 PM
It's a shame about the cracks, I think it's interesting looking. If you come across another piece without cracks, I'd try it again. Definately different.

Chris Colman
11-14-2010, 9:56 AM
Great design! Very unique! I could never come up with something like that.

I love working with cedar, but like you say, it is so CRACKY.

Regarding the tenon coming loose... I am no expert, but I think Cedar is too soft and too resinous to be glued to a tenon like that. When I turn a tenon on cedar I make it a little thicker than normal (3/16 instead of 1/8"), because cedar is so soft. I also NEVER use my chuck in expansion mode, cedar will not hold.

Don't give up on cedar, it is way too fun!

Bernie Weishapl
11-14-2010, 10:28 AM
That is a great design and form. I like working with cedar and have found if you get the trees that have been dead for a while they will crack less.

Bill Bolen
11-14-2010, 5:02 PM
Cool little piece!...Bill...