PDA

View Full Version : First Wedding Goblet

Nate Davey
11-13-2010, 9:27 PM
I recently bought Cindy Drozdas "Elegant Finials" video and wanted to try something skinny with a bunch of shapes. So, I decided on a wedding goblet. This is the most enjoyment I've had turning to date. As I was wasting away the excess cherry, I practiced the three main cuts, V, bead and cove so when it came time for the ones that counted I had fresh practice. I did the hollowing with my EWT finishing tool and all else with my new Thompson Tools 3/8 detail gouge with Thompson Tools Handle. I also had a chance to use my new steady rest. I'm not happy with how the rings came out, they look more like grommets. The goblet is cherry and is 5.5" tall by 2" is diameter with a single coat of tung oil, more to coats to follow. Comments and Criticism need.

Dennis Ford
11-13-2010, 9:49 PM
Nice work! I like the shape of the goblet.

James Combs
11-13-2010, 9:57 PM
Very nice. I am sure that one of those is on my to do list some place now where did I put the list?

Bernie Weishapl
11-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Good looking goblet. I like the form.

John Keeton
11-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Nate, looks like the practice paid off! Looks really nice, and a good job on the captured rings.

However, whatever you did to get that thumbnail - don't do it again!!:eek:

Nate Davey
11-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Nate, looks like the practice paid off! Looks really nice, and a good job on the captured rings.

However, whatever you did to get that thumbnail - don't do it again!!:eek:

Thanks all for the kind comments.

John,

I did that to my thumbnail in '94, it's been like that ever since.

Richard Madden
11-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Nice job! I have got to try one of those someday.

Curt Fuller
11-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Beautiful goblet Nate! I've never seen Cindy's video but if you leave a portion of the goblet stem slightly smaller than the inside of those captive rings you can tape a piece of 220 grit sandpaper around it and use it to sand that ridge off the inside of the rings. Then just turn it away with the rest of the stem. If you look at about the 4th post on this link you can see better what I mean. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=419272#post419272 Then if you want to add a little extra to the 'wedding' part, you can also interlock the rings.

Nate Davey
11-14-2010, 9:08 AM
Awesome tutorial Curt, I need to may the right angle parting tools yet, I was going to use allen keys, and I love the interlocking rings. Still might do that on mine

Steve Schlumpf
11-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Goblet looks really good! Nice form and I really like the wood!

Only comment - that has to be the smallest avatar I have ever seen! Any chance you can post a slightly larger size? :D

Jeff Luedloff
11-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Very cool goblet. nice form and finish.

John W Dixon
11-14-2010, 3:19 PM
Nice looking goblet, Nate. I just watched the episode of Tim Yoder's show where he made one. I think I need to head out into the shop and give one a try.

John