PDA

View Full Version : The McNaughton Coring Monster

Josh Bowman
11-13-2010, 8:24 PM
Well I've been reading and it seems if you have a laser on the McNaughton rig it helps, to at least train you in its use. So I needed to make an adaptor. My coring rig was missing the handles when I bought it used so I made one from a 3/4" piece of pipe. I also have a Monster hollowing rig with the laser and when I took the post out to check the treads, it turns out Randy simply used a 1/4" x 20 Allen screw for a stud. So I simple tapped the pipe/handle with the same after drilling a .2010 pilot hole. Seems like it will work great. Have to do a vibration check though.

David Campbell
11-13-2010, 8:31 PM
Well I've been reading and it seems if you have a laser on the McNaughton rig it helps, to at least train you in its use. So I needed to make an adapter. My coring rig was missing the handles when I bought it used so I made one from a 3/4" piece of pipe. I also have a Monster hollowing rig with the laser and when I took the post out to check the treads, it turns out Randy simply used a 1/4" x 20 Allen screw for a stud. So I simple tapped the pipe/handle with the same after drilling a .2010 pilot hole. Seems like it will work great. Have to do a vibration check though.

The McNaughton kid has arrived on the scene with his monster in tow.

David E Keller
11-13-2010, 8:33 PM
That's a great idea, Josh. Please let us know if it works as expected. I've got the monster, and I've thought about getting a coring setup. I've been toying with the idea of trying to add stability to the laser for hollowing, so I'm interested to see any ideas you come up with to add additional stability.

Gary Conklin
11-13-2010, 8:42 PM
Is that the handle from the plans I sent you? Looks great, and a great idea to add the laser, I might have to hijack that! Thanks.

David DeCristoforo
11-13-2010, 9:02 PM
It's the "McMonster"!!! Ahhhhh! Don't let it get me....

Bernie Weishapl
11-13-2010, 9:03 PM
Looks like a great piece. Looks like it will do the job.

Steve Schlumpf
11-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Great idea! How well does it work?

Reed Gray
11-14-2010, 1:00 PM
Pretty slick. Better than the McNaughton laser pointer. I am wondering if the vibration will loosen the vertical post. I have had that problem on my Monster hollowing tool, but not too much of a problem, just tighten it up again.

robo hippy

Josh Bowman
11-14-2010, 3:23 PM
Hope to try it within the next couple of days. I need to get more large blanks to practice coring though.:(
I think the monster post will be fine, I threaded a hole in the pipe handle and locked it with a nut, then threaded the monster post to the stud and locked it against the other side of the nut.
I haven't looked at the stock McNaughton handles, but I bet they are thicker than this 3/4' pipe, so should do even better with a thread.

Josh Bowman
11-14-2010, 6:21 PM
Well, got home from work early and thought I'd try some coring with the "McMonster" (sounds like something out of a happy meal).
The laser really does make a difference. I think I must be cross eyed, because my aim sucks! I lay the blade on top move the banjo then started the coring. The lase says I'm heading toward my neighbors house, so I stopped and repositioned a good bit away from my first position. Anyway, it works. It also got the vibration test. For some reason the cutter was really resonating and the laser stayed just fine.