PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own the new 12volt dewalt max drills?

Craig D Peltier
11-13-2010, 7:49 PM
I held them at local rockler I guess there new.they had a block of wood to drill #6 screws into it. I like them for lightweight and small. Can I expect to drive a bunch of 1.5 inch screws with these for say a cabinet install? I'm just not sure if there suited for this like the 18volts.
Can they drive a 3" for hanging cabinets? The only 12 volt stuff I owned was junk like black an decker screwdriver.no power with that battery.

Dave Lehnert
11-13-2010, 9:58 PM
I only used a 12 volt for years. I liked the smaller size. It started to get harder to find 12volt as people were buying bigger and bigger. I could never figure out why people were wanting bigger drills as they made your wrist tired after a few screws. When my 12 volt gave out I went with a 14.4Volt only because I could not find a good 12 volt. An old magazine review said 12 volt was all one needed for woodworking.

Steve Griffin
11-13-2010, 11:34 PM
12V is the perfect size for construction and install of cabinets. Not the perfect size for screwing off a deck, but big enough for anything I can imagine my shop producing.

For 20 years I used small makitas, now I use the 12v(10.8) bosch impact and driver kit. The impact driver took some getting used to, and I hate the noise, but now I never reach for a conventional drill for screws. Even 5/8" drawer slide screws go in with less effort with the impact.

I don't use them with the pocket screw bit, or hole saws/spade bits for the plumbing in cabinets. I suppose it would be nice to have an 18v. for these operations, but the advantage over a plug in drills is so minor I haven't bothered yet. It's almost easier to plug a drill in than fuss with charger and batteries for these jobs.

-Steve

Craig D Peltier
11-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks sounds like a good Xmas gift then.

Steve Rowe
11-14-2010, 1:26 PM
I have the 12v Max Driver that I won at the IWF so only have a few months use on it. It is not the impactor version. It does drive quite a number of screws before needing recharging. I haven't tried it on driving 3" screws but I would normally use an impactor for this anyway. I really like the compact size and light weight of the unit. This is definitely not a "junk" tool. I would not hesitate to buy one but I would probably buy the combo kit with the impactor if I was in the market.