PDA

View Full Version : Jet 16-42 on wheels?

Ben Richardson
11-13-2010, 5:01 PM
I have reluctantly decided that I need to put wheels on my Jet 16-42. I don't want to but my shop space requires it. So any of you out there in the vortex that have done this please share with me your thoughts on the best way to address the problem.
Thanks

Harvey Schneider
11-13-2010, 6:00 PM
If the lathe is to stay on its wheels, this is a bad idea. Small variations in the floor will cause alignment problems.
If the lathe is to be on its wheels only while being moved, you will have to adjust the levelers every time it is moved.
These comments are only true if you want the tailstock to be in alignment with the headstock.

Dennis Taylor
11-13-2010, 7:35 PM
I put my 1642 lathe on casters I got from Woodcraft, they have the 3/8" thread in them, they screwed into the feet of the lathe direct, and I turn bowls and platters without a problem, I have had them on there for about 2 years now. The wheels Woodcraft said would not flatten out on the bottom, and as of today, they are round for 360 degree's, so I don't think it will be a problem. I lock the wheels in place, and turn, I would recommend them if you need them, I needed them to move my lathe for space considerations, so they were a must. And a lot of folks said it is bad, but after 2 years I am not having any issues, knock on wood, The casters I got are currently on Sale at woodcraft, if you check them out....

Dennis

Jake Helmboldt
11-13-2010, 8:43 PM
Ben, do a search here...I forget the guy's name but a Creeker put leveling casters on his 1642. They have feet built in which will level the lathe and can be retracted to move them.

Edit: here is the link to the thread:
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=135034

Not cheap, but would be the best choice (or a similar set).

Nate Davey
11-13-2010, 9:15 PM
I have the same leveling castors on mine and love them. As I don't have a dedicated shop it makes it easy to move and is quite stable when you lower the pads. I would get the ones set up for a ratchet as the wheel used to lower the pads on mine has helped remove a fingernail once or twice.