PDA

View Full Version : Estate Sale Finds

David Myers
11-13-2010, 4:38 PM
Last week I went to an estate sale near my parents home in Hawkins, Tx. I got everything you see in the foreground of the first photo for $80. There are probably a few small items like some files that didnt make it into the pic.

The second pic is a woodie I found at a local antique shop for $30. Its a Sandusky with the original iron. After a quick sharpening it was making shavings the day I got it.

The above, plus my trip to the LN show (got a LA Smoother and the new Glen-Drake saw) is the *real* reason I decided not to go to the tool sale in Garland mentioned in another thread. I've got to finish my wife's magazine stand so I can get some more tool collateral.:cool:

Jim Koepke
11-13-2010, 4:48 PM
Looks to be a decent haul.

I can't make out what is in the plastic sleeves.

jtk

Jonathan McCullough
11-13-2010, 5:05 PM
Good haul. I'm always interested to find out what people are paying for old tools. That Langdon Acme mitre box is especially cool; I've got one on my list of rusty things to fix.

Gary Hodgin
11-13-2010, 5:17 PM
Nice haul.

David Myers
11-13-2010, 6:09 PM
Jim, those are a set of chip carving knives.

I was most pleased about the miter box/saw and the saw vise.

One question about the miter box: the front guide post has a threaded hole and some serrations in the shafts. Is the hole for a set screw? If so, does anyone here know the tpi? and what are the serrations for?

Dave Beauchesne
11-13-2010, 6:15 PM
Hope the blade on the woodie was retracted bfore the photo was snapped :D:D

Nice haul to be sure !!

Dave Beauchesne

Paul Incognito
11-13-2010, 7:03 PM
I have one of those saw vices, a Sargent, I believe. It is pretty awesome! You'll like it.
PI

Jim Koepke
11-13-2010, 8:36 PM
One question about the miter box: the front guide post has a threaded hole and some serrations in the shafts. Is the hole for a set screw? If so, does anyone here know the tpi? and what are the serrations for?

One of my often used machinist tools is a thread gauge. Very helpful in the pursuit of rehabilitating old tools.

I used to have one for metric that I gave to a friend's son who works on European cars. Occasionally I wish I still had it.

Absent a thread gauge, you can make your own from various screws of known threads per inch.

For the answers to your other questions, pictures are always helpful to make clearer the subject at hand.

jtk

Joshua Clark
11-13-2010, 8:41 PM

That hole is for the screw which holds the saw's depth stop. The stop fits into those serrations and allows the saw to be stopped at a specific depth so that it doesn't hit the box frame. It eliminates the need for any sort of sacrificial bed.

You can see them installed on the MF Acme 75 I recently found and cleaned up.

http://hyperkitten.com/pics/tools/fs/Langdon_Acme_4.jpg

Josh

Jonathan McCullough
11-13-2010, 8:55 PM
Jim, those are a set of chip carving knives.

I was most pleased about the miter box/saw and the saw vise.

The serration is for an "L" bracket that has corresponding serration. The bracket has a slot cut into it for the set screw. The L bracket is used to set the height of the saw to just above the little gutter thingee. The rear guide post has one too. They are essentially depth stops. Each post should also have a longer one too, to temporarily set a higher depth for, say, a tenon or something else that you need to be repeatable. Seems like yours may be missing. I can take a photo of one if you need. There's also a manual for these floating around out there.

Mark Dorman
11-13-2010, 11:18 PM
There's also a manual for these floating around out there.

I have a pdf manual that I can send. pm if interested. It's to big to post.

I really like the one I have. I used the secondary stops when I cut the large tenons for my bench.

Mark

David Myers
11-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks for all the responses.

I found this instruction manual:
http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS-borTools/MillersFalls/pubs/mf-MiterBoxes/MF-LangdonMBox-ne.pdf

My tool differs from that in the manual (and others above) in that only one saw guide has the threaded hole and serrations for the "saw stop" (no, not *that* kind of sawstop :)). I've attached a picture of the guides. Also, the brass insert is missing from one; I should be able to find a suitable replacement for that piece. Makes me wonder if the second saw guide is original to the rest of the tool.

Fortunately the "depth gauges" are intact and keep the saw teeth from bottoming out in the gib (groove thingy) so I don't have to have a sacrificial board.