PDA

View Full Version : Question for Reed Gray

Richard Madden
11-13-2010, 4:30 PM
I did not want to hijack Kathy's thread, but I wanted to ask you if the stretch plastic wrap would work on hollowforms. I've had a couple of end grain HF's crack up around the shoulder and opening. No pith, but the cracks seemed to radiate from that direction, even going across the opening, like this;
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/cracked009.jpg

George Guadiane
11-13-2010, 4:45 PM
I would think that stretch wrap around a piece like this would hold it together just fine (don't skimp though).
G

Greg Ketell
11-13-2010, 6:16 PM
I was told to use blue masking tape followed by gorilla tape. Worked great on my manzanita bowl.

Reed Gray
11-13-2010, 7:39 PM
I have used it on hollow forms, but I don't do many hollow forms. The main problem I have with cracks on the hollow forms is on the foot which I leave a tenon on for sanding purposes. It is thicker than the rest of the form, which creates uneven drying stresses. I do at least wax it, or dip it in an oil finish. From the look of those cracks, they seem to radiate out from a central point, and they may have been in the wood before you started, and not visible till the wood started to dry.

robo hippy