PDA

View Full Version : Keeping old table in shape

Dan Karachio
11-13-2010, 11:23 AM
I have a 1920s or so very nice carved mahogany coffee table. I'm sure my grandmother used some kind of furniture polish on it for decades, but I figured if anyone knew the best thing to use, it would be someone here.

Scott Holmes
11-13-2010, 9:40 PM
Is the finish still intact?

Is there any damage to the finish or the table?

Probably a shellac finish.

Steve Schoene
11-13-2010, 9:43 PM
Dust frequently, if dirty clean with a weak solution of a mild soap such as Dawn, getting it damp, not wet, if really dirty wipe with naphtha to remove oily dirt. Paste wax won't hurt it but won't really help much either. Polishes with silicone in them won't hurt the finish, BUT should be avoided because if it ever does need refinishing the silicone will make it extremely difficult to apply new finish. Wood doesn't need "feeding" or any of that marketing nonsense. Polish is just purely cosmetic and of short term, making for a lot of work to maintain that particular look.

Avoid some of the crazy old time formulas like wiping with a mix of linseed oil and vinegar. That will turn into a dirt collector and darken the finish.

Dan Karachio
11-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Thanks guys. I have no idea what the finish is, but it is in very good shape. It is not glossy at all. Lot's of carving and detail. However, I noticed lately it is looking slightly dull. Again, I am almost certain my grandmother applied some kind of furniture polish to it regularly (ah the days when people were ready for house guests any time, any day with perfectly maintained houses and food ready at the drop of a hat for ten people...), but I have not done anything other than dusting and have had it for about 6 years. I was thinking just some sort of lemon oil product might be the way to go? Thanks. It is about the nicest piece of furniture in the house and no way will I ever top it.