PDA

View Full Version : Plaque Plates and Photos

Steve Clarkson
11-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Can you engrave greyscale on a standard plaque plate? I have a black plate that engraves gold and was asked to engrave a gent's photo on it.......before I ruin a $5 plate testing it, just wondering if it will work.

Bill Cunningham
11-13-2010, 1:48 PM
Can you engrave greyscale on a standard plaque plate? I have a black plate that engraves gold and was asked to engrave a gent's photo on it.......before I ruin a $5 plate testing it, just wondering if it will work.

Where did you get black plates that engrave gold? I've seen black plates at Wallyworld, but never bothered to buy one and test it.. But, based on what I have tried on other ceramics stuff, a gray scale won't hit it hard enough to get a consistent coloured etch. Particularly if you have to dig through the ceramic layer to something below. I would convert it to a 1 bit image file (PG or Gold method), start off light and keep hitting it until i get the results I want..

Hmmm I may have read your question wrong.. If your talking Black coated brass steel..'plate' Yes you can engrave it with a standard halftone, but don't go above 300 dpi..

Steve Clarkson
11-13-2010, 2:46 PM
Sorry Bill........I should have been more specific. Yes, I meant the standard metal plaque plates that you get from JDS, LaserBits, etc.

Mike Null
11-13-2010, 3:52 PM
Steve

I do it regularly. If you have a photo convert it to grayscale.

I'm not a fan of these as I don't perceive the quality to be as good as other methods but you use what you have.

Steve Clarkson
11-14-2010, 8:30 AM
Thanks Mike!