PDA

View Full Version : Wood suggestions for rather unique project

Mike Ashton
11-13-2010, 12:06 AM
My wife's due date is about a month away and a rather unique project has come my way. She signed us up for Bradley classes which ended this evening with discussions on the birthing positions. Our instructor brought out a "birthing stool", which is just as it sounds. Without getting heavily detailed, the idea is having a baby in an easier position than laying on your back in a hospital. Either way, my wife turned to me in class and said "can you make one?" The stool she had was nothing special, basically a BORG special consisting of a couple 1x2s screwed together.

My wife and the teacher drew up a chair after class that they both really like, so now my questions are what would you use for construction? Anyone ever use Purpleheart for making a chair? I made the Dining room table and chairs from Walnut, but would like to do something different/ unique for this.

It may sound odd since all chairs are made to be really strong, but this one needs to be solid enough to really get abused. The armrests are gonna get pulled and pushed very hard, as is the backrest. The seat has a big hole cut out of the front for a baby to pass through:eek:.

I apologize if this made anyone feel weird while reading, I could really use some input. Thanks for the help!

Brian Kent
11-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Purpleheart seems great. It is very strong and sands well. The only drawbacks are the splinters, which swell up under my skin, the unusual color (which is just fine for an uncommon piece), and the grain. I have never done well planing the reversing grain. But sanding is great and I think the color improves with age.

I just re-read this. I am talking about splinters while working with the wood, not splinters from the chair. With sanding and finishing it can be a wonderfully smooth surface.

Mike Ashton
11-13-2010, 12:29 AM
Thanks Brian, good to know about the splinters. Having splinters during it's intended purpose would be about as bad as anything I can think of. I know for a fact I would never hear the end of that..:eek:

You mention having trouble planing Purpleheart, does it help that my Jointer and Planer both have Byrd shelix heads?

I forgot to mention this originally, but I am open to other exotics like Zebrawood. Just looking to use something unique but still strong enough.

Jamie Buxton
11-13-2010, 12:51 AM
I'd reach for something with smaller pores, like maple or cherry. More easily cleaned. If you want dense and strong and a little unusual, either jarrah or jatoba. They're both pretty, and very dense. They're often used for flooring because they're so dent-resistant.

Chris Mahmood
11-13-2010, 2:06 AM
It may sound odd since all chairs are made to be really strong, but this one needs to be solid enough to really get abused. The armrests are gonna get pulled and pushed very hard, as is the backrest. The seat has a big hole cut out of the front for a baby to pass through:eek:.

I apologize if this made anyone feel weird while reading, I could really use some input. Thanks for the help!

Congratulations. I'm guessing this is your first child? Without giving away the plot let me just say that there are good reasons every surface in a labor and deliver room is either stainless steel or covered in laminate. I'd pick something that easy to get a few coats of a plastic finish on with enough time that there's absolutely no odor (weird extreme sensitivity to smells is not uncommon during labor). Good luck and post pictures of chair.

Doug Carpenter
11-13-2010, 8:31 AM
Purpleheart seems great. It is very strong and sands well. The only drawbacks are the splinters, which swell up under my skin, the unusual color (which is just fine for an uncommon piece), and the grain. I have never done well planing the reversing grain. But sanding is great and I think the color improves with age.

I just re-read this. I am talking about splinters while working with the wood, not splinters from the chair. With sanding and finishing it can be a wonderfully smooth surface.

I'm glad you clarified! Boy, talk about making an uncomfortable situation worse....:p

He is going to be in enough trouble as it is.....

Brian Kent
11-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Zebrawood is the other wood that is difficult to plane because of reversing grain. Either one will work with a planer or handplane followed by sanding. The small-pore advice seems sound. Purpleheart would be fine with a plastic surface like wipe-on poly. Waterlox is great too.

Pete Bradley
11-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Congratulations. Whatever you choose, buy the material today and get it done pronto. The chair is the only schedule you have control over.

Jaze Derr
11-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Definitely not a new idea, birthing chairs have been around for a long time.

I have no suggestions for wood, but I don't really think it matters as long as it's a strong wood. You are going to want to make VERY strong joints...and then double it :) I've seen a woman rip the side rail off a hospital bed!!

Ray Chalenski
11-13-2010, 6:38 PM
For something strong, white oak might fill the bill. But cherry might be nice. Strong,attractive and ages really nice. Either way,don't dwell on the species too long. The clock is ticking.

Mike Ashton
11-13-2010, 8:07 PM
Congratulations. I'm guessing this is your first child? Without giving away the plot let me just say that there are good reasons every surface in a labor and deliver room is either stainless steel or covered in laminate.

You're right, this is our first. Funny you should say that about smooth surfaces, that's the first thing I said when I looked at the "stool" she brought out. I am heading to the lumber yard this morning to get materials, hopefully be done with building it this weekend and then just give the epoxy time to cure.

Mike Ashton
11-13-2010, 8:22 PM
I have no suggestions for wood, but I don't really think it matters as long as it's a strong wood. You are going to want to make VERY strong joints...and then double it :) I've seen a woman rip the side rail off a hospital bed!!

That's my biggest concern! I'm using Dominos and System Three epoxy on everything, lumber I picked up is 8/4 African Paduak. A few months ago my wife came with to the lumber yard to get the Black Walnut I used on the crib and changing table, I took mental notes of the species she liked for future projects. This was one of them and they had it for a great price. Their stock of Zebrawood was minimal and 4x the cost. They only had 1 small piece of purple heart left in 8/4.

I recently picked up a Dewalt DW712 miter saw and just the other day a Grizzly spindle sander off CL, this will be a nice project to try them out on.