PDA

View Full Version : No. 23 – Black Wormy Walnut Burl NE-Crashed Helmet - "Critique Requested"

James Combs
11-12-2010, 11:51 PM
I finished turning this NE walnut burl bowl today. I had rough turned the outside of it about 3-4 weeks ago and had it sitting under my lathe waiting to finish my steady rest. After I finished the steady I pulled it out to finish it and noticed that it had cracked in several places. I didn't realize it was still so green(wet). I cut away most of the cracking and then rough the inside and set it to soaking in DNA for 24 hours after 5 days in a bag (today) I pulled it out and finished it up.

I am calling it "Crashed Helmet" because it resembles a helmet and because it has crashed and continues too "crash". When I first chucked it up between centers to rough the outside I had the tail stock jammed into some apparently loose bark because as I was making one particularly aggressive cut it came loose and went "crashing" across the shop.:eek: Luckily I was out of the line of fire. After DNAing it and turning the inside I frequently "crashed" the bark on it and lost a lot of it.:o

Stats:
Material - Local Black Walnut Burl (part of the same burl gave you John K. so make not that it cracks if you leave it sitting)
Height - 4-7/8" (to highest bark point - may have been taller before crashing :D)
Width - 6"
Finish - First of three coats of Danish Natural Oil.
It's hard to see but it has a very small flat bottom.

Notes:
- Don't set the tail stock in bark:D
- I turned bark too thin - breaks off extremely easy.:o
- Turn it then DNA it right away if it is green or wet.

David E Keller
11-13-2010, 12:36 AM
I think it's great. It appears to be very thin, and the shape really appeals to me. It's a shame that you weren't able to keep all of the bark on it, but it's a great looking piece with or without.

Don Alexander
11-13-2010, 2:51 AM
really awesome wood and a nice job on the form and finish too

John Keeton
11-13-2010, 6:25 AM
Now, this one I like!! Very nice piece, and I sure am looking forward to turning a piece of that burl!! I heavily coated the pieces I cut up with Anchorseal and I hope that will keep it stable until I can cut into it. Then, as you say, keep it covered between turning sessions!!

Ken Hill
11-13-2010, 8:43 AM
I like it! I would imagine in person it looks even better!

Christopher K. Hartley
11-13-2010, 10:23 AM
James, great save. You did a really good job on this. I don't normally care for NE but I really like this one.:)

Bernie Weishapl
11-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Really nice save. I really like the form on this one.

Steve Schlumpf
11-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Wow - now this is nice! Pretty wood and I like the thickness - or lack of it!

David DeCristoforo
11-13-2010, 1:26 PM
Well for my taste, that's too nice a piece of wood to waste on such a beautifully shaped bowl. And you made it way too thin. So all in all I would call this a complete failure. What I am trying to say (just in case you missed the attempt at sarcastic humor) is that I think this is the nicest piece you have ever posted. I don't usually get that excited about NE bowls because they have a tendency to look "the same". Not this one. This is a bull's eye.

Roger Chandler
11-13-2010, 5:30 PM
James, ........................WOW!