PDA

View Full Version : No. 22 – OliveWood Acorn Vase - "Critique Requested"

James Combs
11-12-2010, 10:51 PM
I was getting ready make this post but I always like to read a few new ones before I post my newest item. One post that was particularly interesting and thought provoking is "Bowls vs. Hollow Forms - why? (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=152110)" by John Beaver. It kinda hits home too in that not only am I posting a Vase I just finished but right behind it will be a NE bowl then a pen. I turn strictly for enjoyment and personal satisfaction. Sometimes it is a half dozen pens then it is a HF, then a bowl or even three snowmen (soon to be a post). I any case it is what I happen to feel like doing at the moment. Oh and I even did a couple of Whirly-gigs earlier this week.

Well enough digression, to the current post:

I may have had a recent acorn shaped birdhouse on my mind when I turned this olive-wood vase (Thanks Mike).As you can see it certainly resembles a large acorn with an open mouth.

Stats:
Material - as mentioned is olive-wood courtesy of Mike Minto.
Height - 5-5/8"
Width - 4-1/4"
Mouth Opening - 2"
Finish - First coat of 3 - Rattle can Lacquer

Notes:
- a very dry blank. That may be due to age and not the the nature of the wood because if I am not mistaken it had a magic marker date of '96 on it when I received it from Mike.
- seemed to be a very hard wood one of the hardest I have turned.
- you will notice a couple of sharp pointed oval defects on and under the "acorn lid". These are not natural defects. I had glued a waste block tenon on the blank so as not to waste any of it. I was in the process of parting it off with the steady rest in place and it parted prematurely at over one inch circumference. The glue separated. I had not sanded or preped the glue surface in anyway, that will now change:eek:. Anyway when it separated it got wedged between the remaining piece of wast block and the steady rest wheels and the waste block proceeded to burn several gouges in the HF while it was bouncing around and burned the large one after it wedged, all before I could hit the e-stop.:mad:

This photo shows the burns up close. Some coffee grounds and CA filled it in and I think It looks almost natural.???

Please let me see your comments and critiques.

David E Keller
11-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Nice save... I think the patch job looks fine. I like the shape of the mouth, but I'm not as sold on the undulating sides.

I've not turned a lot of olive, but that looks more like elm to me. Whatever it is, it's pretty wood.

James Combs
11-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Nice save... I think the patch job looks fine. I like the shape of the mouth, but I'm not as sold on the undulating sides.

I've not turned a lot of olive, but that looks more like elm to me. Whatever it is, it's pretty wood.

Never turned olive before either but Mike had it marked as "Olive 96" best I could decipher.

Don Alexander
11-13-2010, 3:17 AM
pretty stuff and i also like the shape

the "defect" fits the grain pattern nicely hehe

John Keeton
11-13-2010, 6:22 AM
..not only am I posting a Vase I just finished but right behind it will be a NE bowl then a pen. I turn strictly for enjoyment and personal satisfaction. Sometimes it is a half dozen pens then it is a HF, then a bowl or even three snowmen (a soon to be post). I any case it is what I happen to feel like doing at the moment. Oh and I even did a couple of Whirl y-gigs earlier this week.Oh, the joys of retirement!!!!:D:D:D Someday, I hope to be able to make such a post!

JD, I love the wood, and I think the patches work great. Not so crazy on the form, but it is well executed.

Bernie Weishapl
11-13-2010, 10:45 AM
James the patch looks fine and the wood looks great. I like the opening but not a big fan for the shape but that is just me.

Steve Schlumpf
11-13-2010, 10:56 AM
James - looks like you learned a few things one this one!

First thing I notice when I look at a turning is the form. Have to admit that this form does not work for me because of the bulge at the shoulder. The bulge just seems out of place.

Would also like to see you play with the size of the opening and the neck and foot ratios. Lots to experiment with!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing the next one!

James Combs
11-13-2010, 2:34 PM
Oh, the joys of retirement!!!!:D:D:D Someday, I hope to be able to make such a post!

JD, I love the wood, and I think the patches work great. Not so crazy on the form, but it is well executed.

John, Eat your heart out.:cool::p

James - looks like you learned a few things one this one!

First thing I notice when I look at a turning is the form. Have to admit that this form does not work for me because of the bulge at the shoulder. The bulge just seems out of place.

Would also like to see you play with the size of the opening and the neck and foot ratios. Lots to experiment with!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing the next one!

Steve/John - The form was more of an experiment in seeing how much of the wood I could keep and how many curves to add to show off the grain.:D