PDA

View Full Version : Russian Olive Southwest Form

Curt Fuller
11-12-2010, 9:58 PM
I found another piece of the R O burl big enough to make something from. Still has a few cracks in it but the rest of it is rustic enough that a few cracks seem to go with it. I tried a southwest looking form (or at least my idea of a southwest form) but I don't know if I like it much. The form gets lost in the all the voids anyway. This is really some weird wood to work with. I used Keith Burn's 10 minute finish on it too, substituting Minwax Tung Oil finish for the AO. But it works pretty slick. Definitely the best finish I've gotten on the Russian Olive wood so far.

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Boy Curt that is some rustic and knarly looking wood but I like it. Nice form and finish.

David E Keller
11-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Gosh, that's pretty wood! I posted a little something on the WTA site about this piece, but the more I look at it, the more the form is starting to grow on me. The photo with the through and through shot is a great one... I love voids!

Don Alexander
11-13-2010, 3:18 AM
+1 on what David said

John Keeton
11-13-2010, 6:14 AM
Curt, I am really amazed at how beautiful the RO is! Just has some beautiful color, and the burl and voids really add to it. Don't know much about SW forms, but this one is appealing to me. I think the added transition line at the shoulder is in good keeping with the wood.

James Combs
11-13-2010, 8:56 AM
I am not really into the "voids" look but you certainly have some beautiful wood with a nice finish around the voids. I especially like pic #4, mainly because it looks more solid.

Ken Glass
11-13-2010, 9:12 AM
Curt,
Great looking piece. The form seems to accentuate the Burled Russian Olive's color variations and the voids give it much character. You should be very happy with this one. The finish is also great. Very Well Done.

Steve Schlumpf
11-13-2010, 9:26 AM
Curt - sure is some beautiful work!

Love the wood, the form and the finish! Especially like the way you consistently create wonderful and imaginative turnings out of wood that most others would just throw away! You've got a talent for bringing out the best from a piece of wood! Very nice work!

What's the dimensions?