PDA

View Full Version : It's just a bowl, but I think I messed up

wes murphy
11-12-2010, 9:51 PM
This is just a lowly straight walled bowl. I missed the knot when I mounted the blank. This bowl was cored and previously worked a little, so the shape had already set. When I got to the bottom, the knot really exposed its face and when I should have stopped, I didn't but kept blissfully digging in. What do you think the chances of this thing splitting right down the middle?

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Nice looking bowl Wes. How big is it and what finish did you use???? Looks to me like a branch with the pith in the bottom which is what cracked. A little CA will take care of that with either sanding dust or coffee grounds.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-12-2010, 10:10 PM
I agree with Bernie on the CA. Nice little bowl and the not gives it character.:)

wes murphy
11-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Nice looking bowl Wes. How big is it and what finish did you use???? Looks to me like a branch with the pith in the bottom which is what cracked. A little CA will take care of that with either sanding dust or coffee grounds.
It's about 7" wide and 6" tall. I finished it a couple turns of EEE and a couple coats of Ren Wax. Which has become my finish of choice. Oils just do not work out for me.

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the info. That finish will be fine for art bowls or bowls that hold fruit or chips.

David E Keller
11-12-2010, 10:43 PM
If it's dry, I doubt it cracks any more. It's fine to leave as is, or you could fill it as Bernie suggested.