PDA

View Full Version : Movers for a truck

Eduard Nemirovsky
11-12-2010, 8:19 PM
I am planning to give my track to my son. Only problem - I am in Va and he is in CA.
I did search net and got a few very close estimates for open mover platform, door to door service, insurance included.
Did anybody use this kind of service before? Please I would appreciate any advice what what to ask mover, how to choose right company.
Another questions - my truck is paid off, and what will be the best way give it to the son. Just sell it with like a few dollars price? Or just give it away. I am concern legal way to title it to him, and cheapest one for him and me.

Thank you,

Ed.

Jim Rimmer
11-12-2010, 8:22 PM
I don't know about the moving but you used to be able to give $20K gift per year to your adult children with no tax impact to them. Don't know if that has changed. Maybe a tax expert will chime in here.

Charlie Reals
11-12-2010, 8:28 PM
I am planning to give my track to my son. Only problem - I am in Va and he is in CA.
I did search net and got a few very close estimates for open mover platform, door to door service, insurance included.
Did anybody use this kind of service before? Please I would appreciate any advice what what to ask mover, how to choose right company.
Another questions - my truck is paid off, and what will be the best way give it to the son. Just sell it with like a few dollars price? Or just give it away. I am concern legal way to title it to him, and cheapest one for him and me.

Thank you,

Ed.

Be very sure it will pass Ca. smog. You might want to send a blank check to cover the fees out here:mad:
I am talking out of sight registration fees.

Eduard Nemirovsky
11-12-2010, 8:39 PM
Thank you for remind me about smog check. For sure it will pass, it is 2006 Toyota Tundra with 26000 miles only.
I will investigate about $20K gift, thanks.

Ed.

Matt Meiser
11-12-2010, 8:45 PM
I assume it varies state to state, but in MI you don't have to pay tax when buying a vehicle from a family member. Or at least you didn't last time I was involved in such a sale. You can sell it to him for whatever you want but how CA taxes him will be up to them.

On transport, my dad used I believe United Van Lines a couple times. This was back around 1990, but it was actually quite reasonable--I want to say a few hundred bucks from South Dakota to MI and Memphis to MI. I'm sure its gone up considerably since. They move them in an enclosed, purpose-built hauler.

Ron Jones near Indy
11-12-2010, 8:48 PM
In Indiana there would be no sales tax if it is a gift. I have no idea how other states might do it. Check it out. Transfer could be less expensive in one of the 2 states involved.

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-12-2010, 8:58 PM
Ed - I can't speak for the moving part....might mean a bunch of phone calls on your part to find the best way to get it there.

On the transfer.....we gave an old truck to a friend many years ago. We transferred it with a legit bill of sale for $1, and all was good. He used that to get a new title and register it.

I think he still owes us the buck.

Brian Kent
11-12-2010, 9:02 PM
California annual vehicle registration is 1-1/3% of value.

Charlie Reals
11-12-2010, 9:07 PM
California annual vehicle registration is 1-1/3% of value.
Brian,
How about the fee to register from out of state? They used to really nail us on that one.
We can though gift family without a fee.

Harlan Coverdale
11-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Brian,
How about the fee to register from out of state? They used to really nail us on that one.
We can though gift family without a fee.

They seem to have eased up on the "import" tax. In the early 90s the costs were crazy to bring a car in that didn't have the CA-specific anti-smog parts. Last I heard, they are not doing that anymore. I do believe the registration fee is based on book price and not sales price, so selling it for a dollar probably wouldn't be any benefit.

David G Baker
11-13-2010, 12:01 AM
I sold several vehicles when I lived in California, I would sell the vehicles for my asking price and make out a receipt for the amount that the buyer wanted me to put on the receipt. The registration cost at the time was based on the price that was on the receipt or the minimum cost based on the vehicle's age and type.

Eduard Nemirovsky
11-13-2010, 9:02 AM
Thank you very much for info. Now I need to call my dealer here to clarify difference for emission test at here and CA.:mad::mad::mad:

Ed.

Charlie Reals
11-13-2010, 9:18 AM
Thank you very much for info. Now I need to call my dealer here to clarify difference for emission test at here and CA.:mad::mad::mad:

Ed.

I have been told most newer vehicles will pass Ca. standards regardless of where sold. It does though depend on where in this nuthouse you live:D.
My county has no smog requirement after sale butt the bay area and down south in the urban areas is every year.

The only smog I have floats up here from the valley.:)

Kerry Adams
11-13-2010, 9:36 AM
My friend just did a move with an on line mover. Scam alert! Stay with the big guys and except for a small down payment, no money until the truck is delivered. Plenty of info out there, just do your research.

Kerry

Gary Hodgin
11-13-2010, 3:14 PM
My friend just did a move with an on line mover. Scam alert! Stay with the big guys and except for a small down payment, no money until the truck is delivered. Plenty of info out there, just do your research.

Kerry

+1 A few years ago one of my daughters had a nightmare of a move with one of the smaller local independents. She was moving from TN to Wisconsin. We later found that the company subbed most of the stuff out. The subs didn't show on moving day, then after they finally got her stuff to Wisconsin they wouldn't take her stuff off the truck until she paid an additional amount of about $200 as I recall. On top of that a couple of things were broken, which they claimed we broke in packing (including a nice antique lamp). I later found that her situation wasn't at all unusual in the moving industry.

Joel Goodman
11-13-2010, 3:15 PM
I transferred a vehicle in NY and between family members there was no sales tax -- CA may be different. I believe (not an accountant) that it's 14 K for tax free gifts but the balance of the value, if it's worth more than that, could be either a loan that you forgive next year (as you have another 14K). Also if you are married I think your wife also has 14K gift tax free, so effectively a couple has double.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-13-2010, 3:22 PM
There are specilized vehicle moving companies. My SIL's parents have their own vehicle moving company. They drive as a team and primarily operate from Florida across the south to west Texas. Most of their clients are wealthy....sport figures....actors and actresses.....etc. They will typically schedule a run when they can get a load going both ways to prevent having to drive back with an empty trailer. All they haul is vehicles.

Kerry Adams
11-13-2010, 3:51 PM
Yep, my friend had to come up with 4500 extra !!! They take the Household goods and hold them hostage. Just do your research and don't do anything on line and you will be fine.

Kerry

Mike Henderson
11-13-2010, 4:06 PM
I shipped a couple of cars half way across country (Florida to Louisiana). I used a company which puts together people wanting to go to that location with the car. The people going there drive your car. When they got to Louisiana, they turned the car in to the company in New Orleans, who then delivered the car to my relatives.

They check out the drivers because they don't want any problems and they provide insurance for the trip.

So they get paid by you, for shipping your car, and they get paid by the drivers who want a ride to that location. No problem either time and reasonably priced.

Mike

Gary Hodgin
11-13-2010, 5:23 PM
Yep, my friend had to come up with 4500 extra !!! They take the Household goods and hold them hostage. Just do your research and don't do anything on line and you will be fine.

Kerry

Good advice. After our experience, I did some googling and found several complaints about the moving company and many others. Apparently, there's a lot of dishonestly in the moving industry.

Rich Stewart
11-16-2010, 8:31 AM
American Auto Transport. Florida co. I just shipped a truck to Hawaii and it was VERY easy. Door to dooor service. Actually my son picked it up at the port of Oahu. 2K to ship from NJ to HI. 18 days. Would have been quicker but missed the ship by a day. Had to wait for the next trip. 4 days from NJ to CA port of LA.

Rick Potter
11-16-2010, 11:51 AM
No sales tax in CA when it is between family members.

Rick Potter