PDA

View Full Version : Bench on a Bench?

Tony Shea
11-12-2010, 6:01 PM
I was recently checking out TFWW and noticed they now sell a Bench on a Bench. I remember seeing one of these in a recent article in one of my magazines. Just curious how many of you out there are actually using one and what joinery do you actually perform on them? One would think that clamping something that high to saw dovetails would cause you to saw at an uncomfortable angle.

But the reason for my interest is due to my back. Sawing dovetails and choping waste is just murder on my back at such a low height. But that low height puts my saw at a natural 90* angle to the work. Just the way I've always sawed dovetails. But chiseling out the waste sure would be more comfortable. Who all uses one and likes using it?

Gary Curtis
11-12-2010, 6:50 PM
That's the reason for having an Upper Bench on top of a Bench. Work height.

The other would be to have a platform for a smaller vise to hold 'refined scale' projects. I can't really pull a stool up to my workbench to deal with fine details.

Someday I'll get around to building one.

Gary Curtis

Andrew Gibson
11-12-2010, 10:29 PM
I use my saw bench as a stool when doing fine work. I always think my bench is a bit high, though I could see a small bench top bench as being a nice option. my reason for sitting is that I usually want to get off of my feet as my floor is concrete and my shop shoes are a bit worn out.

Mark Dorman
11-12-2010, 11:37 PM
But that low height puts my saw at a natural 90* angle to the work. Just the way I've always sawed dovetails. But chiseling out the waste sure would be more comfortable. Who all uses one and likes using it?

I was drawing dovetail saw handles on my autocad and noticed that the angle of the handles varied 10 or so degrees between the two I liked the most. So I'm thinking one was for a lower working height and the other would work better on a taller bench. The G handle I think would work for a lower bench than the second one. I kind of like the idea of a higher work height for easy on the back. Gotta go low for the hand planning though.

Mark

Alice Frampton
11-13-2010, 9:03 AM
I made and use one, yup. (Here 'tis (http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/benchraiser.html)) As Gary says, it's just the job when you want to get in close to a workpiece without having to stoop. Mine isn't that high really, but it's just enough to make working on smaller scale stuff and close work that fraction more comfortable - it's still low enough to use a dovetail saw if I want to. Was worth the effort I think, although I should really replace those wooden screws with something a bit more substantial to get maximum benefit from the vice.

Cheers, Alf

Tony Shea
11-13-2010, 10:27 AM
That's a great example Alice. I like the looks of the beech top, turned out very nice.

About your BU jointer plane, how would you compare it to a normal Bevel Down jointer plane? Would you find yourself reaching for the BU version more than the BD one if you had both to choose from? I really need a good quality jointer plane and I just can't decide whether I want the LN BD or the LN BU jointer plane. The reason for the LN choice is that I have a gift cert from them. I also like the fact that the whole side of the BU jointer is milled flat opposed to LV's. I would use this plane for shooting as well as I have no other BU planes. But if the typical Bench plane is more usefull I would rather get that.

Matt Bickford
11-13-2010, 10:30 AM
I always used a bench that was 32" high, I'm 6'4". I never had any issue with it despite it being shorter than most and me being taller. It never bothered me.

I bought an adjust-a-bench 6 months ago on a whim. It changed the way I work within a week. I now change the height 3-4 times every day. I use the full swing of the bench and most of the time it's within two clicks of the highest level, which is probably 14" higher than I used to work.

The idea of having only one or two options for work height is indigestible now. I wouldn't be able to do it.

The thing saves your back, wrists, elbows, everything...you're always working at the ideal level.

Tony Shea
11-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Where can I find some smaller hardware specifically for the front vise? I don't have the ability to make my own wooden screws and anything that I can find seems way to large for the size of the benchtop bench. Any suggestions on where I can find the proper hardware for this small benchtop bench project?

Gary Curtis
11-13-2010, 1:14 PM
Tony, I my first guess for vice hardware would be Highland Hardware in Georgia. Nice to hear from you Alice. We conversed a few years back about the WoodRat and about Hollywood lore.

For all who might be interested in plans, Fine WoodWorking did a story on making an upper bench about 3 years ago. A nice accessory for one would be one of those little flip-up sawing fences. Useful for crosscutting small pieces. I have one on my full size bench and it gets used every day.

Gary Curtis

Alice Frampton
11-13-2010, 3:25 PM
About your BU jointer plane, how would you compare it to a normal Bevel Down jointer plane? Would you find yourself reaching for the BU version more than the BD one if you had both to choose from? I really need a good quality jointer plane and I just can't decide whether I want the LN BD or the LN BU jointer plane. The reason for the LN choice is that I have a gift cert from them. I also like the fact that the whole side of the BU jointer is milled flat opposed to LV's. I would use this plane for shooting as well as I have no other BU planes. But if the typical Bench plane is more usefull I would rather get that.

It's tricky, really being one of those personal preference things. My BD #7 is an oldish Stanley, and I'm not kidding anyone if I claim its sole is flat - and thus I tend to pick up the BU one. But in truth, if I thought I could get enough for one of my kidneys, I'd have probably bought a LN BD by now. I like to use a cambered iron for jointing an edge, and get an idea that I'm holding it plumb too, and the BU isn't ideal for either (at least for me). Although I have the luxury of a couple of choices of BU planes for shooting with, I certainly wouldn't dismiss a BD plane for the task. Many people over many, many years have used one for the job and with superb results. As long as the iron is sharp, that's 99% of the battle. So personally, if I had your dilemma, I'd go bevel down; but that's just me.

And hi, Gary! Dear me, you don't want to see the cobwebs on my Woodrat, you really don't. Mind you, the jointer planes probably aren't that cobwebless at the moment.:o

Cheers, Alf

Tony Mattioli
11-13-2010, 3:26 PM
Tony,
Here's mine. I made one based on Steve Latta's design. Great for saving my back.
Tony

http://www.tonymattioli.com/benchtop.jpg

Jim Barrett
11-13-2010, 5:24 PM
Take a look at this thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=118060

Dave Redlin
11-13-2010, 6:51 PM
Jeff Miller had an article on a "bench on bench" in Fine Woodworking, March/April, 2005 issue.

Dave