PDA

View Full Version : Copper sheet stock and stencil materials

Kathy Madan
11-12-2010, 5:10 PM
It's my day for unusual quotes.

One customer is looking for copper plates 2"x5". I found copper colored brass from one supplier but am looking for another supplier. OR I am looking for copper sheet stock if that is even available.

I have another customer that needs stencils made with some small lettering. I was thinking about just using a flexibrass, but not sure if that will be too thick for what they want to use it for. Does anyone have any other suggestions? They are using it to mark letters with a sharpie on a tag, inside a backpack.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lee DeRaud
11-12-2010, 5:22 PM
A quick google of "copper sheet" pulled up a bunch of suppliers...www.basiccopper.com (http://www.basiccopper.com) looks pretty good.

Ruben Salcedo
11-12-2010, 5:49 PM
Kathy,

for stencil material, you can use Stencil Oil Board, google it, there is many places where you can buy it including Amazon, Uline, etc.

Ruben

Kathy Madan
11-12-2010, 6:07 PM
I did find some good ideas for copper. Thanks for your help.

Now the customer is thinking they want something thicker than .020 material, so I need to nail the specs down a little further before I spend time uselessly.

Dan Hintz
11-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Funny, McMaster-Carr has come up quite a bit lately... until a week or so ago, hardly anyone on this board knew about them. Now they're the solution to a lot of problems. I've used them for years, and while they're not always the cheapest, they're reasonable most of the time, and they have practically everything under the sun.

MC definitely has copper sheeting... I just hope you realize you won't be cutting it with the laser.

Mike Null
11-13-2010, 7:17 AM
Depending on what kind of engraving you want to do ID Plates might be your best source for copper.

The sheet copper others are referring to is not coated, engravers copper is. That is important if you wish to diamond drag or rotary engrave then oxidize. Oxidizing uncoated material will turn the whole thing black rather than just the engraved area.

It sounds like your stencil needs are for making individual letters. If so, engravers plastic will work nicely.

Conrad Fiore
11-13-2010, 8:38 AM
Kathy,
For the stencils, if you are making letters that are say, .25" down to .06", then your best bet is brass shim stock. That can also be had from McMaster-Carr. I find that material in .005"-.010" thick is ideal for those small stencils that are normally aribrushed.

John Noell
11-13-2010, 2:59 PM
Depending on exactly what they are marking and how much re-use there is, you might find that old x-ray film makes wonderful stencils. They are pretty tough, rather flexible, and cheap.

AL Ursich
11-13-2010, 3:24 PM
Copper Circuit Board Material.....

AL

Steve Kothig
11-14-2010, 11:55 AM
I don't work with copper but for your stencil material try Mylar 6-10mm
you can fine it at hobby stores like Micheal's or on line if you need large amounts. I purchase 24" x 36" sheets.
Hope that helps
Steve