PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody seen this vise before?

Charles Goodnight
11-12-2010, 4:43 PM
http://www.hovartercustomvise.com/

It seems like it might actually be a significant improvement over even the Veritas twin screw vise. I am starting to think about making a bench, and this just might be worth the $400 :eek: or so it would take to put one together.

george wilson
11-12-2010, 4:49 PM
I saw an article about it somewhere. Now I can't remember how it works. No screws.

Gary Curtis
11-12-2010, 5:21 PM
Hidden under the apron are 2 ratcheting devices for the arms. I saw the mfrs. demo video. It was fairly clear, but I was left a little puzzled by the operation.

I may be wrong, but I believe can have one arm projecting further than the other and still clamp an object. Installation was very simple.

Gary Curtis

Larry Heflin
11-12-2010, 5:44 PM
I saw an article about it somewhere. Now I can't remember how it works. No screws.

Popular Woodworking Blog 7/2/10

Chris Fournier
11-13-2010, 10:22 AM
That would be a nice vise if you spent a lot of time cutting dovetails. Otherwise I would prefer a plain old face vise for it's all around versatility and robust build.

I would be concerned about racking with this vise and quickly ruining the mechanism if you were clamping a lot of smaller pieces with it.

Gary Miller
11-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I bought and installed this vise recently. Have been using it now for only a couple of weeks, but after fine tuning to get the "grip" equal on both sides--I like it alot.
I added it to my new Roubo-like bench it works just as advertised. Quck release and 1/4 turn to tighten. No racking.
The Hovartercustomvise.com website includes complete installtion instructions w/ illustration if you're interested.
So far I have no buyer's remorse, it fits my needs quite well.
Gary

harry strasil
11-13-2010, 11:09 PM
There was a rather lengthy discussion thread about this vise some time back in Neanderthal Haven, but I can't seem to find it with a search.

harry strasil
11-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Found it, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=143524