PDA

View Full Version : Sand Paper Again

Terry Murphy
11-12-2010, 4:41 PM
Why do different brands of sand paper feel so much different from other brands?
I have 2" disc from Vince's and these grits feel so much coarser than the equivalent of some other brands I have.
Example,I have a 1" roll of 400 grit, that is much coarser than Vince's#400.

So much to learn, so little time!

Terry

Jim Underwood
11-12-2010, 4:52 PM
If memory serves correctly, there's a great article on sandpaper in last editon of the AAW Journal.

There is a European and a US standard for abrasives. I believe the European standard is the better one. Perhaps the US standard is on it's way out...

Anyway, you would need to see which standard your paper adheres to. The actual grit size and grit numbers of the US and European standards do NOT match... Could be where your discrepancy is...

Also it depends on your backing. The plastic film backing usually ensures a smoother abrasive "feel" because the grit is more uniform.

John Keeton
11-12-2010, 7:29 PM
Quality can make a difference, as well. On lower quality, you will have a wider variation in grit size and that could contribute to a different "feel."

Jim Burr
11-12-2010, 8:22 PM
and leave deeper cuts on a single grain...had that happen numerous times:mad::mad:

Harry Robinette
11-12-2010, 10:55 PM
If you want to find out about sand paper go to Bill Neddow just google

He is a turner from Canada that did a study on sand paper( I seen him at

Turning 2007 and 2009 outside of Cincinnati) man he knows sand paper

Go to articale I think it's on the left side.

hope this helps:)

Terry Murphy
11-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Great article by Bill Neddow, thanks for pointing to it.
Sounds like it maybe be cheaper to go first class.
Thank you all.
Terry

David Woodruff
11-13-2010, 7:46 PM
My exerience boils it down to quality and cost. Cheaper = poor control of particle size, or the company has such loose specs that grain uniformity is poor, cheap adhesives allows particles to shed. You get what you pay for and don't waste your money on Garnet paper. Maybe there is a use for the stuff, Garnet, maybe someone will tell me what it is.