PDA

View Full Version : Drum sander advise needed today please...

Raymond Fries
11-12-2010, 2:20 PM
I have an opportunity to buy a Delta 31-250 18/36 drum sander for $250 which supposedly has only 20 hours on it. It sounds like a good price. I was planning on going to look at it tomorrow morning. Does anyone have this? Is it a good machine?

Here is my dilemma:
I have a small shop and strive to maximize space. I do have a Delta 22-580 13” planer and was wondering if the sander would really give me more than the planer does. The added width capacity that the sander provides is not “currently” needed as most of my projects use 13” or less width boards. I looked at helical heads but they are $400+ and not sure if that is worth it either; I have heard that they do provide a super smooth surface.

Any feedback or suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks

Cary Falk
11-12-2010, 2:44 PM
The earlier versions had some problems if I recall. If it is a newer one it is a steal at $250. I have a Grizzly 18/36 and use the snot out of it. That being said, it is not a replacement for a planer. I would not replace the planer with it. There are extremely slow at thicknessing things.

mreza Salav
11-12-2010, 4:03 PM
a drum sander and planer are two different machines and non replaces the other. I have a drum sander wouldn't be without it.
Don't know about that particular model of Delta but the recent 18/36 ones from Delta get fairly good reviews and $250 is a VERY VERY good price.

Joe Scarfo
11-12-2010, 6:07 PM
I would pay $250 and smile all the way home. If it doesn't work out, you could easily resell for more.

Good Luck
Joe

mickey cassiba
11-12-2010, 7:50 PM
Raymond,
The 31-250 is a hit or miss. A lot of the early ones, as Cary noted, had issues. A thing to check when you look at it is the condition of the nylon gears under the base. Chipped and nicked gears suggest a table alignment problem that wasn't corrected. This can result in a warped table...expensive fix. If you get a good one, you've got a heckuva machine, but caveat emptor.
Mick

Joseph Tarantino
11-12-2010, 8:51 PM
with 36 grit paper, they're great for removing old finishes and dirt on reclaimed material prior to dimensioning and machining. that price sounds like a steal....i got a ryobi 16/32 for $225. good luck.

Jaromir Svoboda
11-12-2010, 9:57 PM
I paid $400 for mine about 2 years ago.Its nice.

ed vitanovec
11-12-2010, 10:28 PM
It sounds like you should buy this before its gone. I had one of the first versions 10 years ago and it worked great. I did not have any problems like others complained about. These are made pretty ridgid and it is a real time saver, especially worked good on raised panel doors. The drum sanders should be used as sanders and not planers, take small passes. Also dust collection is a must. I sold mine for $400 dollars to buy a larger dual drum sander, I got such a good deal on a dual 25" I could not refuse. If I did not come across the 25" dual I would still be using my Delta today.

Regards!
Ed

Raymond Fries
11-13-2010, 10:03 PM
I did get it this morning and it is in excellent condition!

He threw in the mobile base and two new boxes of sandpaper (four rolls each of 80 grit and 180 grit)

The manuals are still sealed in the plastic bag.

I think this qualifies as a Gloat. :D

YAY...

Can't wait to try it out...

frank shic
11-14-2010, 1:07 AM
the first time you run cabinet doors through it, you will absolutely LOVE it... until you have to sand out the cross grain scratches but nothing's perfect, right? enjoy!!!

Neil Brooks
11-14-2010, 1:19 AM
Well ...

In brief ... you suck :p

Congrats on the new DS. You'll wonder how you ever lived without one !

Joseph Tarantino
11-14-2010, 2:44 PM
totally excellent deal raymond. great condition with mobile base and extension tables! and i personally think the stationary drum with adjustable platten is superior to the ryobi/jet/performax configuration. a well deserved "YOU SUCK" to you.