PDA

View Full Version : 22-44 Sanders

Jonathan Spool
11-12-2010, 1:22 PM
Is the Jet 22-44 Pro 3 a better sander than the 22-44 OSC? Do those that own a 22-44 OSC feel that the sander is under powered, and would opt for 3hp non-oscillating?

Jeff Monson
11-12-2010, 2:08 PM
Jonathon, I went through the same decision about a year ago, there wasnt alot of good reviews on the osc model at the time, so I went with the 22-44 pro. I'm very pleased with this model, digital readout, casters, table extensions and a 3hp 220volt motor are standard. Its got tons of power, I run mostly 150 grit on it and it never bogs down. I think if they had offered the osc model with a 3hp and a bit more mobile I would have gone that route. I have NO regrets with this one though, got it from tool zone BTW

Erik Christensen
11-12-2010, 3:53 PM
I have the oscillating version - I put it on my own mobile base and added a digital height gauge. I do not use it for planing - have a spiral planer for that - so all I do is make light passes to clean up stock after planing. Have yet to wish I had more power - but that may be more from how I tend to use it - others who use it to dimension stock might have a contrary opinion.

Stephen Cherry
11-12-2010, 10:09 PM
I have a 22-44 pro and I it is 1 3/4 hp, but what I think that you would need to consider is that it is not a wide belt sander- It really is not intended to take off very much material in a single pass. I've had it just for a short time, but it seems like it is enough.

What you really do not want to do is overheat things and burn the wood. For what I've used it for, it is great. It seems like the oscilating feature would be a nice addition.