PDA

View Full Version : Yew amphora

Lionel Mercier
11-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Hello All,
Yew is certainly one of the oldest wood used by man.
The oldest specimens of spears that have reached us are yew, probably because those in other species have not taken the distance, but perhaps also that our grandparents had understood all the potential of this wood.
Yew also has a nice place for the first arc, and that of Otzi is yew, wood of choice for this purpose.
But the most surprising is to discover that the yew has also served as a container at a time closer to us.
Witness this little amphora, probably from Gallo-Roman era...
Feared not taxines in these times ...
What is also surprising is the perfectly preserved ...there is something bizare ;)
143mm under the board and 75mm shoulders
Have fun,
Lionel.

Baxter Smith
11-12-2010, 10:32 AM
That is beautiful work! Looks like it would have taken some time and some skills I don't have!

bob svoboda
11-12-2010, 10:35 AM
That is very special. Would sure like to have an insight into the process and tools used to make it.

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Wow that is cool. I to would like to know the process they would have taken to create such a vessel.

David E Keller
11-12-2010, 3:33 PM
Such a beautiful piece... You've really got an interesting style that I enjoy.

Lionel Mercier
11-14-2010, 4:55 AM
Hello All,
Pictures are better than long explanations.
Friendly, Lionel.

Nate Davey
11-14-2010, 9:38 AM
Very nice, and beautiful job

Mike Spanbauer
11-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Lionel, That's a nice looking piece for sure. What really impressed me though is that I originally thought you had turned the entire thing and then carved back to the handles as the grain is exceptionally well matched. When you posted the process pics... well you have one HECK of a great eye for matching grain. That's truly amazing.

Bravo!
mike

Steve Schlumpf
11-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Lionel - always a treat to see your work! Great job on the amphora! Excellent form! Thanks for sharing the process photos - makes me appreciate your skills even more!

James Combs
11-14-2010, 5:25 PM
Lionel, That's a nice looking piece for sure. What really impressed me though is that I originally thought you had turned the entire thing and then carved back to the handles as the grain is exceptionally well matched. When you posted the process pics... well you have one HECK of a great eye for matching grain. That's truly amazing.

Bravo!
mike

I don't quite understand the "grain match" part. Looks to me like it is turned and carved from one piece. Where then would there be grain match.

Really nice piece Lionel. Wish I was a 10th as talented in the carving arena.

Bill Bolen
11-14-2010, 5:28 PM
What a fine piece and avery interesting process. Thanks for the photo explanation...Bill...

Barbara Dill
12-08-2010, 9:48 AM
Lionel, I'm so gald you posted the pics of the process of the amphora. Very creative and I will play with those ideas. Thank yew!
Barbara

Michael James
12-08-2010, 9:54 AM
Very impressive piece of art there! thanks for posting.
mj

jeremy levine
12-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Nice job !!

Tim Rinehart
12-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Hello All,
Pictures are better than long explanations.
Friendly, Lionel.
Lionel, (perhaps Barbara also),
Is it correct to say that the offset turning was in order to remove as much material on the areas that didn't have the handle projections?

Barbara...1 post...have you been a 'lurker' ? Really enjoyed your demo you did for the Southern Piedmont Woodturners this past year.
Just don't ask me if I've tried any of the techniques out!:rolleyes:

Lionel Mercier
12-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Yes, the offset turning to remove as much material on the areas that didn't have handle projections
- and to give the shape for the internal (between handles) turning achieved with router.
- and the general shape for the two handles (lenticular section of the upper part)
I hope the answer is satisfactory.
Friendly, Lionel.

Tim Rinehart
12-09-2010, 1:08 PM
James,
I think you have it right looking at the piece and the process. These handles are integral, and Lionel even shows the router being used to hog out some areas in keeping the carving minimized. Grain match comments assumed the handles were glued/attached on separately, which this clearly isn't from the photos. Some very nice work here, that's for sure!:)

I don't quite understand the "grain match" part. Looks to me like it is turned and carved from one piece. Where then would there be grain match.

Really nice piece Lionel. Wish I was a 10th as talented in the carving arena.

Don Orr
12-09-2010, 8:20 PM
Outstanding !