PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit

Karl Laustrup
12-28-2004, 6:10 PM
Well, today was just about the best day since I can't remember when.

I had the pleasure of hosting John Miliunas [Spring for short]. After a look see at the dis-array of my humble shop set up and some advice on set up of some equipment, we went on a field trip.

First stop was Endeavor Hardwoods where we checked out the supply of wood. Not too much choice right now as they are finishing up a new retail store. Will check back with them later as they are only a few miles from my house.

Next it was on to Friendship Hardwoods. WOW! Kids in a candy store, drooling on ourselves. Unable to talk coherently. Just kind of blubber uncontroallably as we wander through two warehouses filled with all kinds of woods.

We both scored some nice woods as shown in the pictures. Bubinga [17" wide was the narrowest], purpleheart, bloodwood, padauk and marado [sp.], which I had never heard of. It's the boards far left and far right in the pictures. It has some beautiful grain as shown in the separate picture. Spring also scored some BE maple and SA mahogany.

Anyway, thanks Spring I really had a good time. Hope we can do it again soon.

Karl

Edit: I got the 17" wide. The widest Bubinga board we saw was 29" wide by 9' long.

Mark Singer
12-28-2004, 6:29 PM
Beautiful wood!!!!! Spring never springs up here??? :D

John Miliunas
12-28-2004, 7:25 PM
Hey gang, all I can do is echo Karl's thoughts! Super-fun day, without SWMBO or Jr.'s anywhere in site!:D Nice to just spend a day with a fellow WW. And wow, is Karl ever right about two kids in a candy store! Two GIGANTIC warehouses full of assorted hardwoods! We didn't even get to look in the THIRD one! The guy said they primarily had their Pine, Poplar and some lower grade hardwoods in there, so no biggie. Great selection, favorable pricing and, super-nice folks to deal with, too, which makes it all that much better.:)

Besides the scores you see pictured, I also drove away with quite a few feet of Maple as gifted to me by Karl. Seems they were constantly, "...in his way...!" Glad I could "..take them off your hands, Karl!":D All in all, a very pleasant day and yes, we WILL do it again, but next time, lunch is on ME! Thanks again!!!:cool:

Joe Mioux
12-28-2004, 7:32 PM
What!? No tools???????

John Miliunas
12-28-2004, 9:53 PM
What!? No tools???????
Ahhhhh...But Joe; Without the beautiful wood, what good are the tools?!:D :cool:

Jim Becker
12-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Yum!! Nice wood score!! And an alterno-avatar, to boot! (couldn't color correct any more, unfortuantly...)

John Miliunas
12-29-2004, 10:28 AM
And an alterno-avatar, to boot! (couldn't color correct any more, unfortuantly...)
Hmmmm...Just as ugly as the other one!:eek: :) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
12-29-2004, 10:34 AM
You look a little jaundiced :eek: in that new avatar, John. I want to state right now that Spring's jaundiced look was in no way related to his visit yesterday. :D :D

David Wilson
12-29-2004, 10:42 AM
I can't believe it. Two Wisconsonites and no pics of CHEESE.

Jerry Olexa
12-29-2004, 10:55 AM
This had to be a day in paradise: 2 cheesehead WW'rs prowling through hardwood suppliers without LOML's telling you not to buy that. Plus, a Packer Jacket atop a J Deere and a new nickname "Spring". Sounds like you guys had fun. Happy New Year!!:)

Karl Laustrup
12-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Jerry,

You are right. Hardwood lumber yards, Packers, John Deere and, and, and a fellow Creeker.

I just don't think it gets any better than this.:D

And Happy New Year to you Jerry! And to all Creekers!

Karl

John Miliunas
12-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Beautiful wood!!!!! Spring never springs up here??? :D
Mark, I ain't a bettin' man but, if it ever comes to pass that I head out to the Left Coast, you best be ready to face this ugly mug in PERSON!!!:eek: One way or 'nuther, I'd end up on your doorstep! From what I understand, Gene C. isn't too far from you, as well, so HE ain't safe, either!:D :cool:

Dennis Peacock
12-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Glad you guys had a nice visit and very nice on the score of wood!!!! :D

So John? How was the drive on the JD dragster? :p ;)

John Miliunas
12-29-2004, 12:36 PM
Glad you guys had a nice visit and very nice on the score of wood!!!! :D

So John? How was the drive on the JD dragster? :p ;)
Dennis, the visit was better than "very nice", but no driving the JD!:( BUT, seeing as to how I have it's little brother, I have no doubt it kicks butt! Karl's is bigger and got more "ooooomph" than mine. At least, they're BOTH the right color combination!:) :cool:

Joe Mioux
12-29-2004, 2:31 PM
Hey John:

You had been a pretty good tool run for the past couple months. I couldn't help but rib you a bit.:) I agree with the others that it looks like you two had a wonderful time and the wood you guys bought looks fabulous.

What are your plans for the wood?

John Miliunas
12-29-2004, 2:46 PM
Hey John:

You had been a pretty good tool run for the past couple months. I couldn't help but rib you a bit.:) I agree with the others that it looks like you two had a wonderful time and the wood you guys bought looks fabulous.

What are your plans for the wood?
Thanks, Joe. Yeah, it's been a pretty good couple months in the tool dept.!:D

As for plans? That's the beauty of it: Not a single clue!!! Instead of matching the wood to a plan, I'm going to wait for the right plan or idea to come along to give the wood a bit of justice! The recent tools will play an important role in that decision, as I want to use them to try and extrapolate as much beauty out of the wood as is possible.:) :cool: