PDA

View Full Version : Pre-gloat for PM 66

Ruhi Arslan
11-11-2010, 8:43 PM
There was one PM66 in Falls Church, VA on CL some weeks ago but they were asking $2800 for it with a roller extension table. Needless to say they didn't take my offer of $1200. Then it was on ebay which ended up with ahighest bid of $820 - below the reserve. Who knows what was the reserve. There was another one from what appeared to be a pro-shop. Starting bid was $1199.98 ( I don't get it but anyway...) with buy now option of $1700. I asked few questions to the seller. They were almost nice about answering. I decided to go for it and ended up being the only bidder. It has an Excalibur fence and a custom built extension table. It doesn't have the original guard/splitter, and miter but I think I can get those easily if I wanted. I already have an Incra TS-LS system anyway and I don't need the guard with the Excalibur. It is 5HP 1-phase built in 2003. Would this deserve a gloat title?

My PM64 will be for sale soon. :D

http://auctionwagon.s3.amazonaws.com/G2SMb9a3a363-e663-41f9-9533-198892cce062-22519.jpg

Neil Brooks
11-11-2010, 8:49 PM
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but ... you're getting a great deal, and are going to love that saw.

Sorry, but ... it is what it is.

Paul McGaha
11-11-2010, 8:50 PM
Congratulations Ruhi.

I'm glad you wound up with one.

Just my opinion but I'm glad its single phase also, no need for a converter.

Oh and Ruhi, You Suck!

PHM

Ruhi Arslan
11-11-2010, 9:03 PM
The other one in VA was 3-phase with the phase thingymagic but this one seemed a better choice not because it was 2003 instead of 1999 but also single phase. I hardly doubt that the owner doesn't have the arbor wrenches and the guard which I will find out when I go to pick it up this Saturday. It was listed by one of those clearing houses for ebay so the poster didn't know much about it.

Mike Cruz
11-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Very nice looking saw. Sounds like you got a great price, too. Great when no one else shows up to the party, huh?;)

michael case
11-12-2010, 12:50 AM
I'm glad you offered those jokers who wanted $2800 0nly $1200. I only paid $2300 for mine brand new in 2002 or 3. I really ereally hate people who actually price used equipment higher than new in the hopes some innocent soul will pay more for used than new. And its a great wrap up with you winning the 5 horse with the Excalibur guard etc. Yes, this deserves a gloat. Good job!

Neal Clayton
11-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm glad you offered those jokers who wanted $2800 0nly $1200. I only paid $2300 for mine brand new in 2002 or 3. I really ereally hate people who actually price used equipment higher than new in the hopes some innocent soul will pay more for used than new. And its a great wrap up with you winning the 5 horse with the Excalibur guard etc. Yes, this deserves a gloat. Good job!

buying tools new from harbor freight, using them once, then putting them on craigslist for their retail price seems to be a cottage industry around here.

i agree, can't stand those people.

unless i'm mistaken about later models ruhi, the PM66 never came with a splitter/riving knife, that was why they retired it in favor of the 2000 model. the 66 trunnion was too large to fit anything else in there was their reasoning for never having one available.

Kirk Poore
11-12-2010, 3:05 PM
unless i'm mistaken about later models ruhi, the PM66 never came with a splitter/riving knife, that was why they retired it in favor of the 2000 model. the 66 trunnion was too large to fit anything else in there was their reasoning for never having one available.

Splitter yes, riving knife no. The splitter went with the original guard, however, IIRC. At least that's how it is on my PM 65.

Kirk

Chip Lindley
11-12-2010, 4:01 PM
...Starting bid was $1199.98 ( I don't get it but anyway...) with buy now option of $1700...I decided to go for it and ended up being the only bidder. It has an Excalibur fence and a custom built extension table. It doesn't have the original guard/splitter, and miter but I think I can get those easily if I wanted. I already have an Incra TS-LS system anyway and I don't need the guard with the Excalibur. It is 5HP 1-phase built in 2003. Would this deserve a gloat title?

http://auctionwagon.s3.amazonaws.com/G2SMb9a3a363-e663-41f9-9533-198892cce062-22519.jpg

Sure Ruhi! $1200 for everything included; that's GloatWorthy! Especially if it has a Baldor 5hp single-phase motor. You have the Last Of The PM66s!

As said, riving knives were not in vogue in the early 2000s. The splitter, (for what it's worth) is part of the stock blade guard. I find it fairly useless, as different blades are different widths. Biesemeyer makes a nice, (although pricy) anti-kickback splitter that bolts on and is removeable.

Even if the 66 should need new bearings, belts, magnetic starter, etc. after being used commercially, it is still a good bargain.

As for ebay, the auction for your PM66 had a starting price at $1199.98, with no reserve. The seller also offered a Buy-It-Now option of $1700. But, as soon as any bids are received, the Buy-It-Now is usually no longer available. This is a selling tool which taunts some buyers to BUY NOW for that price before the item might be bid even higher than that price. Sometimes it works; sometimes it does not. You won this time! Nobody willing to drive to pick up the heavy saw wanted it worse than you!

As for the $2800 PM66 you saw earlier, there are many fishing expeditions on ebay, because there might be just ONE Born That Minute! Nobody but the seller knows what the reserve was. Maybe $2798.98?? lol

Dave MacArthur
11-12-2010, 6:16 PM
Great purchase Ruhi! Indeed, you suck! ;)

I have a PM66 myself, and I would much rather have that excalibur guard than the stock splitter/guard (which I have).

Ruhi Arslan
11-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Well... She is on the floor, in the shop... somehow.
Trip was an hour plus. Saw was in the garage and had no way to connect it to test. Against all the better judgment I should have, I proceeded anyway after checking everything else. Wheels are pretty hard to turn but there is quite a bit caked saw dust built up on the gears so I thought once I'll give it a good clean up, it will move easy - I hope. Top is in very good shape, some marks but will clean up easy - nos rust at all. It turns out home made outfeed table is not included with the sale. I've got $50 off from the price bringing it down to a final $1150. Owner found all the accessories except the splitter and the fence. Since I knew, it was missing, I didn't mind much. I am sure I can find a used one if getting one from PM would be too expensive. Seller had four young high school football players ready to help. We discussed a strategy and lowered it on its back on the back of the truck with ease. I had to tell them not to lift it too much up in the air. :eek:

He threw in four or five mixed bag of Freud blades as well. Uneventful ride back and the help of a friend to lower it on to a mobility base I stole from underneath the PM64 worked just find. We were able to slide the bas out as far as we can get without the weight shifting outside and tilted the whole table down. I didn't take off anything except the rails and left the top and the massive motor intact. It is HEAVY! So two of us were able to lower it while my wife was making sure that it was sliding down into the base. Plugged it in since it already had the same plugs I use and it purred away without any hesitation. :D

I'll clean it up and give it good overall to report back with some real gloat.

Neil Brooks
11-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Shhh.

Quiet.

Listen very carefully.

You hear that ?

That, my friend, is the distinct sound of you beginning to suck :D

Mike Cruz
11-14-2010, 6:49 AM
Neil, I whole heartedly agree...he is beginning to suck. He doesn't suck until he posts pictures...;)