PDA

View Full Version : Material for wine labels?

Don Gares
11-11-2010, 5:09 PM
For this Christmas we have purchased several cases of wine without labels that we intend to give to friends who have businesses. I had planned to simply print adhesive labels with their logos, etc. on them but now I am thinking about engraving the labels to make them a bit more classy.

My problem is what do I use for engraving material? I think that Rowmark Spectrum Lights would work but I would like to have more of a color selection (red for apple wine, blue for blueberry wine, etc.). The material will need to have adhesive and be quite thin (probably not over .01") and flexible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Don

Dan Hintz
11-11-2010, 6:24 PM
Engrave directly on the bottle. Apply transfer tape, laser, paint through mask, let dry, remove mask. If it's a dark bottle, the etching by itself may be white enough, depending upon taste.

Don Gares
11-11-2010, 6:31 PM
Engrave directly on the bottle. Apply transfer tape, laser, paint through mask, let dry, remove mask. If it's a dark bottle, the etching by itself may be white enough, depending upon taste.

Unfortunately I have never used transfer tape, please describe. Would your process let me use some small type for the Government Warning, etc.?

Also, that process seems like it would take quite a bit of time to do several case of bottles. We like all of these people but there is a limit to the amount of time I am willing to spend.:)

Don

Dan Hintz
11-11-2010, 6:41 PM
It would take roughly the same amount of time as if you did the labels off of the bottle and applied later, assuming you discount the paint's drying time.

Dave Gates
11-11-2010, 7:13 PM
I've used IPI's LaserUltraThin material for this before with good results.

Although, I think engraving the glass has a nicer look to it.

Don Gares
11-11-2010, 7:15 PM
It would take roughly the same amount of time as if you did the labels off of the bottle and applied later, assuming you discount the paint's drying time.

Dan, thanks for the info but if I should decide to laser labels and apply them, is there a suitable product for that method? I still think that Rowmark Spectrum Lights would work but I would really like a better color selection. In your expert opinion, would the above mentioned product work should I decide to go with the limited colors?

Thank again,
Don

Bill Cunningham
11-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Engrave the bottles, then use a bit of Rub n Buf into the etch.. The Gold leaf colour looks great. and they have several others. A 1/3 oz tube covers 1100 sq inches and only costs 5 bucks.

Dan Hintz
11-12-2010, 6:50 AM
The Lights or the Thins would be perfectly acceptable, but you're limited in colors for sure. It all comes down to how much time do you want to spend on this project. Using the thins would allow you to engrave flat and apply after...

Dave Gates
11-12-2010, 2:49 PM
If you do sublimation, you could always use white Mates material for full color and laser cut shapes if needed.