PDA

View Full Version : Dehumidifier kiln-dried wood

John A. Scott
11-11-2010, 3:40 PM
I have the opportunity to purchase lumber that was dried using a dehumidifier-type kiln. Does wood dried in this manner work and behave as air-dried lumber? Can it be steam bent?

Scott T Smith
11-11-2010, 5:01 PM
John, most DH dried wood is very similar to air dried. There are exceptions - pine being a notable one - because at the end of the kiln cycle the pine is heat treated to 160F in order to set the pitch.

Most DH kilns operate in the 90 - 120F range, with a short stint at 135F at the end of the cycle to sterilize and condition the load.

I don't know the answer to the steam bending question though, and am curious about that myself. Customers of mine that are steam bending white oak usually purchase green wood.

Bruce Wrenn
11-11-2010, 9:20 PM
John, most DH dried wood is very similar to air dried. There are exceptions - pine being a notable one - because at the end of the kiln cycle the pine is heat treated to 160F in order to set the pitch.

Most DH kilns operate in the 90 - 120F range, with a short stint at 135F at the end of the cycle to sterilize and condition the load.

I don't know the answer to the steam bending question though, and am curious about that myself. Customers of mine that are steam bending white oak usually purchase green wood.One of the first projects I did was a couple of curved benches for local "Y". I used kiln dried red oak (from Scott Smith) to make the benches. Three years later, they are still holding up well.