PDA

View Full Version : Black Locust Burl Hollow Form "B"

George Guadiane
11-11-2010, 1:22 PM
This is the smaller of two pieces I managed to scavenge from a short that I picked up at my local mulch yard (I have free run, all for the price of a soft maple burl hollow form).
Black locust, generally makes my favorite finished pieces. Yes, its hard, but I find the things I get when I'm done to be worth the extra effort.
Hollowed with my Rolly Munro articulated hollower on my Randy Privitt Monster articulated hollowing setup (I like articulation?)

This piece is 8 inches in diameter by 3 3/4 inches high and turned to about 3/16 of an inch thick. I used my Forstner bit to drill the opening, and went all the way to depth with it (I have a different bit I usually use for getting to the bottom), resulting in a pin hole in the foot.
Sanded to 400 till I decide if and/or what to finish it with.
Questions, Comments and Critiques always welcome.

John Keeton
11-11-2010, 1:37 PM
This one is very nice, as well, but I like the other better with the larger voids. George, you do nice work on these! And, you deserve an award for turning seasoned locust!!:eek:

Dan Hintz
11-11-2010, 2:22 PM
The ridge pattern near the void is very cool, akin to the stomach of a snake skin.

George Guadiane
11-11-2010, 3:01 PM
The ridge pattern near the void is very cool, akin to the stomach of a snake skin.
That killer figure turns up on the edges of many burls, but is particularly strong on this and cherry. And, that curl was part of the reason that I decided to work with the hole, to make sure that it wasn't lost in turning.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-11-2010, 3:42 PM
The "Holey Hollow Form Man" has struck again. Cool wood and fine turning.:)

David E Keller
11-11-2010, 7:17 PM
Good grief... This one is gorgeous too!

James Combs
11-11-2010, 7:47 PM
Very nice George. I like the "tiger stripping" and the exoticness (is that a word) of the grain. The coloring and some of the grain actually looks like some olive wood I am currently working on.

Gary Conklin
11-11-2010, 8:47 PM
Awesome piece, thank you for sharing it. I love pieces like this, but you really need to get your sanding spot on.

Jim Burr
11-11-2010, 9:28 PM
That's a great inspiration to me George, Thanks and I can't wait to see it finished!

Nathan Hawkes
11-11-2010, 10:33 PM
George, your form is gorgeous! Locust forms burls so infrequently. I'm jealous! Really nice work.

Bernie Weishapl
11-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Great piece George. Nice wood, form and finish.

George Guadiane
11-12-2010, 9:36 AM
The reason Black Locust Burl delivers my favorite finished piece is because of the variety of character, and the unique (to my knowledge) occurrence of what I call "trilobite" patterns, wher the endgrain swirls up in the "agrigate of the burl dots, looking like embedded sea creatures.
It's well worth the hassle of turning this HARD wood.
Turning this thin was pretty easy, even with only the smallish hole and power sanding was all done on the lathe.

This piece is small enough to fit into a gallon vacuum bag, so I'm going to fill the form with marbles, then with Bush Oil and vacuum out all of the air... That should give deeper penetration to the finish. When I take it back out, I'll just empty it and let the excess drain back into the can.
I'll post pictures of that too.
Thank you all,
G

Baxter Smith
11-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Although I found the other post interesting with the holes, the figure on this one is great!