PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Sand Flea... Looking for the roller?

AL Ursich
11-11-2010, 12:53 PM
About 10 years ago when they still had Wood Shows in Philly, I saw a vendor that had a roller and bearing kit to make a home version of the sand flea.

I have searched and searched with no luck. Anyone know where I can get the roller?

Thanks,

AL

Jerome Hanby
11-11-2010, 1:12 PM
Maybe Stockroom Supply (http://www.stockroomsupply.ca/shop/drum-sanders.html?SID=e74566a62179a8218bdfdde4123bbcc8)

Jon McElwain
11-11-2010, 1:35 PM
I took apart a large plotter from my engineering office a couple of years ago. It was headed for the dumpster and I thought I would use the stand (successful rolling mitre saw stand now) and I was curious about the insides of the thing. Turns out it had a 3" dia x 40" long drum constructed of aluminum with a thin rubber cover. I have not done it yet, but I would like to make a sand flee with this drum. You might look into getting your hands on an old printer or plotter and using the drum out of it. Probably the only down side is the bearings are not exactly huge. But with a bushing, you could fit some larger bearings on the shaft. Just an idea, I have not done it, but it looks like it would work. Plus its like recycling!

Jon McElwain
11-11-2010, 1:41 PM
By the way, state, city, university, or federal surplus places always have loads of printers and the occasional plotter...

Gene Howe
11-11-2010, 1:49 PM
Maybe Stockroom Supply (http://www.stockroomsupply.ca/shop/drum-sanders.html?SID=e74566a62179a8218bdfdde4123bbcc8)

+1 and it's for velcro backed paper. Read their site for lots of hints.

Van Huskey
11-11-2010, 3:00 PM
+1 and it's for velcro backed paper. Read their site for lots of hints.

I thought the sand flea worked on the principle that the paper expands away from the drum at speed allowing gentle pressure against the wood. If that is correct wouldn't velcro defeat that to some extent?

Bill Huber
11-11-2010, 3:17 PM
I thought the sand flea worked on the principle that the paper expands away from the drum at speed allowing gentle pressure against the wood. If that is correct wouldn't velcro defeat that to some extent?

It is the Velcro that lets it expand and pull away from the roller.

Van Huskey
11-11-2010, 3:25 PM
It is the Velcro that lets it expand and pull away from the roller.

Thanks, never looked at one more than a glance but remembered some of the marketing bullet point.

Ben Hatcher
11-11-2010, 3:36 PM
I bought mine at Mcmaster-carr. I found a variable pitch pulley with the right OD that fit perfectly into the ID of my tube, too.

AL Ursich
11-11-2010, 6:03 PM
Thanks to everyone posting ideas.... I worked at the Sony Service Center in Philly a few years ago. While I was there they combined 2 buildings into one and all the conveyors were scrapped.... I missed getting a 24 inch wide 8 inch drum..... Did get 27 heavy 5 drawer wide filing cabinets from the 70's used for Service Manual Storage........ I saved them paying for 2 metal dumpsters... So we both won... I lined 2 twenty foot sea containers for organized storage near my shop. My shop is in the middle of a overgrown Christmas Tree Patch so they are not a Visual Problem...

As for the Sand Flea PARTS.... I found one.... A Member and I closed a deal for the parts HE has.... We BOTH WIN..... THANKS BEN !!!

I love my 22/44 Thickness Sander I got from a member here too...

This is a GREAT PLACE......:eek:

AL

Charles Lent
11-11-2010, 6:12 PM
The company that you are looking for is Stockroom Supply www.stockroomsupply.com

They are great people to do business with.

I bought one of their kits 3 years ago and have been very satisfied with it. The only tricky part of the build is getting the tabletop perfectly flat, or you can buy one ready made from them. The top has to be very flat for it to work properly.
PM me if you need any additional help.

Charley

Ben Hatcher
11-12-2010, 8:20 AM
Here's your new sand flea starter kit. Thanks AL.

Jonathan Spool
11-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Just a note for anyone looking for a roller. Be cautious with using conveyor rollers, as many are cambered just slightly in order to keep the conveyor belt on track. I thought I scored big time once, only to be quite dissapointed when I found this out. I ended up using a 30" section of heavy aluminum tubing (so it wouldn't flex out of true when spinning) along with a couple of discs machined to fit the ends and support the shaft. Had the whole setup turned to true.

AL Ursich
11-13-2010, 3:14 PM
Ben,

That is what I am looking for.... SOLD....

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Thanks,

AL