PDA

View Full Version : Wall Mount LCD TV--where to put the DirecTV box?

Matt Meiser
11-11-2010, 8:25 AM
Since LCD prices are dropping we are thinking about replacing the CRT TV in our bedroom with an LCD. The CRT model is mounted on a bracket above a door and there's a small bracket on the bottom that holds the DirecTV box. We want to put the TV in the same place, but I'm not sure what to do with the DirecTV box. There's really no place to set it nearby. Does someone make a bracket to mount it behind the TV? Which I suppose would necessitate a repeater for the remote but still look better.

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-11-2010, 8:31 AM
Matt - if it's an HDMI connection, you should have a lot of freedom on where to put the box, if you're willing to run the HDMI cable.

Matt Meiser
11-11-2010, 8:44 AM
Yes, I'd use HDMI. The DirecTV box is already an HD box. BUT...the house is a modular and that wall is the marriage wall. There's not the usual steel I-beam beneath the floor joists in the basement but instead there's a massive stack of 2x's that the joist hang on. So access to get wiring in/out of that wall is very difficult. I have been able to run coax and cat5 cables in the wall by drilling at an angle from the basement but getting a big enough hole for an HDMI connector would be more difficult.

Charles Wiggins
11-11-2010, 8:54 AM
Matt,

I saw an episode of Wasted Spaces (http://www.hulu.com/watch/66039/wasted-spaces-family-room-mwangi-style#x-0,vepisode,1,0) where they did a wall mount and built cubbies into the wall from the back because the opposite side of the wall was a storage room. This allowed them to have their DVD player and games and run all of the wiring through the wall so everything in the room was neat and clean.

Cheers,
Charles

Joe Leigh
11-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Matt,

Put it anywhere you want. All you need is one of these http://www.xantech.com/Infrared/Infrared/LCDCFLProofKits/DL85K/

just get the kit for your tv type, plasma, lcd etc....

You are only limited by the length of you HDMI cable. I have 2 in my home. Works great for tv's mounted above fireplace mantles.

Bob Rossi
11-11-2010, 10:29 AM
It's a little pricey but how about wireless HDMI?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833999014&cm_re=wireless_hdmi-_-33-999-014-_-Product

Curt Harms
11-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Some of them can be used IR or RF. RF might be useful, you wouldn't have to mess with IR repeaters.

Since LCD prices are dropping we are thinking about replacing the CRT TV in our bedroom with an LCD. The CRT model is mounted on a bracket above a door and there's a small bracket on the bottom that holds the DirecTV box. We want to put the TV in the same place, but I'm not sure what to do with the DirecTV box. There's really no place to set it nearby. Does someone make a bracket to mount it behind the TV? Which I suppose would necessitate a repeater for the remote but still look better.

David Bridgeman
11-11-2010, 11:29 AM
In my kitchen reno, added a HDTV. Didn't want the HD Box, so I put the box in the basement hardwired to the TV and used a Philips Remote extender (Philips rfx2001wm) to handle the remote. It works great. If you cant hardwire, the Terk Leapfrog (Terk LF-30S) wirelesss can transmit the audio/video.

Jim Becker
11-11-2010, 9:27 PM
Yes, I'd use HDMI. The DirecTV box is already an HD box. BUT...the house is a modular and that wall is the marriage wall. There's not the usual steel I-beam beneath the floor joists in the basement but instead there's a massive stack of 2x's that the joist hang on. So access to get wiring in/out of that wall is very difficult. I have been able to run coax and cat5 cables in the wall by drilling at an angle from the basement but getting a big enough hole for an HDMI connector would be more difficult.

Is the actual wall hollow at that point, Matt? If so, it could be used as a conduit for the LV cable(s) to drop down closer to floor level. Just install an LV outlet shell (which pretty much makes a pretty hole in the wall) behind the TV and down low so you can use a simple table for the STB. That how both our 32" bedroom screen and the big 52" screen in the media room are handled here. (I had to put in a channel in the media room before the spray foam insulation was, well...sprayed...in insure that I didn't loose my path through the wall. The bedroom situation was an interior wall and presented no issue)

Matt Meiser
11-11-2010, 9:38 PM
Yes, its hollow. Just hard to access the basement. I think we'll end up having to set the box on the dresser. Since the TV is over the door, the door swing precludes putting anything below. The dresser is nearby. Sounds like an excuse for some kind of wood box to hold them.

David Bridgeman
11-12-2010, 10:32 AM
With Picture - you can see the remote transmitter on the left counter back splash. It is a small black box about 1.5" x 1.5", battery operated.

Bryan Morgan
11-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Cheap and easy wall mount:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082809&p_id=6425&seq=1&format=2

Matt Meiser
11-12-2010, 11:43 AM
LOML wasn't crazy about the idea of putting the box on the dresser but is OK with doing that if I make a wood box for it. I'm thinking a simple 4-sided box with the front and back open. Maybe box joints (gotta use that new blade set) or dovetails to dress it up and simple molding on the top. Maybe make it big enough to put a DVD player in there too. Then we don't need remote repeaters or anything like that. Just a long HDMI cable.

Since its in the corner above a door, I custom-made all the cables we use now so there's no extra and made them all black. They are neatly bundled with black ties and clipped in the corner where they are hidden with the door open and not objectionable with it closed. I can't (or at least won't) make a custom-lenght HDMI cable but Monoprice has them in black and any excess can go behind the dresser.

david hines
11-13-2010, 7:55 AM
I used a floating shelf to hold the cable box.You can use just about any wood/finish. it is a torsion box with an open end fitted over a ledger board.Glued onto ledger board. Place it wherever it is convenient.Run cables through the wall. Makes a clean install

John Shuk
11-14-2010, 5:33 PM
Snake some wires to a closet and put an infared remote eye in the wall. They work pretty slick. RF remotes can work too but you could be talking money.