PDA

View Full Version : Grizzley-G1073 B.S. riser block pic's any one ??

raul segura
11-10-2010, 11:58 PM
my custom extension block:

Grizzly G1073 16" Band saw.............. dose any one have pictures of its equal with a block ??? Just wondering how it looks , built
This one was one of a dozen left at Grizzley,getting rid of them. Looks like they were moving on to lighter frames.
Review:
"American Woodworker magazine compared band-saws 1995 and 1996 Tool Buyer's Guide, crowned as a "Best Buy". The result of thousands of hours of intense research ,tremendous value for your woodworking dollar".

Picked it up for resawing and found that 7 3/4 in. was not quite enough, so I took a chance and chopped it in half. I used 1/4 in plating for the facings. L brackets from an old bed frame,"very strong stuff". I also used the extra cutting from the 1/4 in. plating for reinforcing the bond between the cast metal and plate. It welded better than expected.
The block I made = 6 .5 in. The total height of blade exposed is now 14.25 in. I don't plan on cutting that wide but its capable now. It takes some times to mate the block ,[adjustment wise], but it centers well. I use an over-head wench for picking . The saw was a little overkill for my wallet at the time,with more cash I would have gotten something with the block. Any way hers my build, I also have some pic's of extra dust collecting features if anyone is interested.

raul segura
11-11-2010, 12:01 AM
These pictures are of the dust plates and added vacuum line.
#1 is a corner plate just hugs the rim of the lower wheel. Above is a black box with slit for blade to enter it acts as a cone to gather dust.
#2 is inside the sheet metal door the double arrows point to another guard that closes over the wheel. The bottom arrow points to a disposable PVC piece. It has a slit for blade to couple with, this forces air movement towards the outside PVC. pipe FOR COLLECTION I also have another inlet at the bottom hense the Y Pipe. This ended up working well rather well as I have very little clean up inside the saw. So far I have very little run time on this saw.

Curt Harms
11-11-2010, 7:30 AM
You obviously have metal fabrication experience. If I tried something like that, it'd be 'leanin' bandsaw ranch':p. That was one thing I never understood about that Grizzly model-the lack of resaw height. Nice job.

raul segura
11-12-2010, 3:18 PM
Ive never been paid for my metal work,I'm great full it actually worked, Thanks. Just wondered what grizzly put out there at the time these were popular.
This one and a three wheeler delta are the only ones Ive handled. I'm always second guessing my self when getting something substantial.

Lance Norris
11-12-2010, 3:59 PM
Raul... show us pics of the completed job please. I wanna see it all together and standing proud. Thanks

raul segura
11-12-2010, 5:09 PM
Ive been using it with its regular blade size as I haven't a longer blade yet.
Ill put it together tomorrow I need some pictures any way.

raul segura
11-15-2010, 3:21 PM
Here is the total build, with out original table.I rebuilt lower guide because original is also part of table.To upper guide I added auto oil if I need it.
A reel for one man work with 5.5ft logs and all legs are adjustable for leveling. It takes 1/2 hour to set up with out fancy table about 2hrs with.

Still haven't seen any examples of riser blocks store bought ??? Just wondering how much less difficult they are to install ?