PDA

View Full Version : Engravelab Photo Laser Plus

Ron Thompson
11-10-2010, 9:19 PM
Anyone using this software? Is it better than Photograve 3? What did it cost?

Ron Thompson
San Jose, CA

Jeff Aichinger
11-13-2010, 7:53 AM
Ron, I can tell you that I have sold copies of Photo Laser Plus to several people who already had PhotoGrav. In fairness, they all had PG2, not the version 3 you ask about. With only 1 exception, all my customers liked Photo Laser Plus better. They like the engraving results better from the preset configs in Photo Laser Plus.

It sells for $395 and your Epilog rep can sell it to you or you can order direct from Cadlink. As an Epilog distributor, I'm biased, but I'd suggest that you buy it from your rep as they will have some special instructions and configurations that you are not necessarly going to get from Cadlink. Additionally Epilog tech support will be available to answer basic questions for you as well.

One last comment, Photo Laser Plus also has some nice features if you choose to engrave direct from that software. Badge layout, variable text and serialization, etc. Plus if you are also running a mechanical engraver, you could use an ELab module to program both the laser and the rotary engraver.

While I've seen lots of people make good money with PhotoGrav for many years, I'd suggest you take a hard look at Photo Laser Plus. I think you'll like it. Look at the video on the Epilog Webiste for a good demonstration.

Dee Gallo
11-13-2010, 9:45 AM
Ron, I saw a side-by-side comparison of the two where the same photo was processed and engraved on the same laser on the same wood. What I saw was that your prep work is of utmost importance still, but the difference was that the PhotoLaser Plus job was more "refined" in appearance, whereas the PhotoGrav job had more contrast and ooomph, but less detail.

Same results as when you use PhotoShop vs. PhotoGrav in my opinion. BUT, PhotoLaser is EASY to use, very fast and pretty much fool proof. Then again, so is the Gold Method. If I did a lot of photos and did not want to use PhotoShop, I'd definitely get it. The software is a lot easier to use than PhotoGrav, which I find to be clunky and limited.

Just my opinion, dee

Larry Bratton
11-13-2010, 10:09 AM
My two cents worth:
As a owner and former user of Photograv 2 and 3, I no longer use it. I studied and worked on my process, and have actually migrated to Corel Photopaint for the work. I like the interface between Draw and Photopaint, and as far as editing contrast, sharpness etc, it works as well as Photoshop for this purpose. I like being able to apply the various dithering patterns in PP, my version of Photoshop does not permit me to do this when I convert to 1bit.
So, if I had to do over, based on what I know now, I would save my money that I spent on Photograv and have no intention of purchasing another so called automated program to do this process.(Especially not for $400 bucks)

Dave Graf
12-17-2010, 12:26 PM
How much for your copy of Photograv3

Hannu Rinne
12-17-2010, 4:15 PM
Possible to start voting between Photograv / Photo Laser / OneTouch ? I would love to see the results :)

Hannu

Dan Hintz
12-17-2010, 4:19 PM
I vote for Paint.net... free, and it's the only thing I've used for saleable work since I bought my first laser. I get better control of my final image that way.

Hannu Rinne
12-17-2010, 4:24 PM
I vote for Paint.net... free, and it's the only thing I've used for saleable work since I bought my first laser. I get better control of my final image that way.

Voting for not talented people - like me :D