View Full Version : lol, never know where stuff will show up

Larry Williams
11-10-2010, 8:07 PM
An amusing thread on one of the British forums:

"Old wooden planes -- still worth it?"

ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/old-wooden-planes-still-worth-it-t45945.html

Sam Takeuchi
11-10-2010, 8:12 PM
I try to improve my wooden planes' performance, they just aren't as good as metal planes. Which of course is why they have largely been abandoned and are available on ebay for 99p.

:rolleyes:

David Weaver
11-10-2010, 8:21 PM
Wow...he says nicholson almost right away, and nobody makes a peep.

The other people are too busy boasting about woodies they got cheaply (likely not valuable planes).

I would like to get a nurse for 2 pounds, but ...

... I guess it is the UK. Maybe they thought it was made by the file maker. :rolleyes:

george wilson
11-10-2010, 8:44 PM
Glad someone FINALLY mentioned it was a very early plane.

harry strasil
11-10-2010, 9:23 PM
A small gloat.

Some of my antique mall finds from the past summer.

Left side, top to bottom, 2 inch hollow, 2 inch round, 3/4 inch round

Right side, 1/2 inch match planes.

about $16 apiece, along with the $18 panel raising plane.

harry strasil
11-10-2010, 9:26 PM
Oops, forgot about beading plane, some kind of center beading plane, I assume like would be used to make the center bead in wainscoating.

and I have another pair of smaller hollow and round somewhere, I think in the demo trailer tool chests.

Joshua Clark
11-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Yikes- I hope someone tells him what sort of value that thing might have. Granted, the dollar isn't worth that much right now, but it should bring enough to buy him a several hundred good British molders :)

I dream about finding one (or more) of those in a barn some day.

Josh

Caspar Hauser
11-11-2010, 6:16 AM
I take it you read to page two.

----------------------------

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:11 am Post subject:

Ok, I'll come clean. I have been teasing you all a bit with this post, but I think you'll agree it's an interesting area. Now, I never said that I owned this plane - and I don't. It is currently for sale though. It's Patrick Leach's 'tool of the month' on his November listing.

Andy (Toolsntat) spotted that it was early and interesting.
Lwilliams is spot on about Nicholson and the fact that it's valuable.

Indeed, it comes from a time which is very important to Americans, and that's what accounts for its value. It's from the early colonial period. When the colonists started to settle in the 'New World' they naturally took with them tools from their old countries. For quite a long time, the Sheffield toolmakers enjoyed a good export trade, and for a while continued to export blades that were fitted into locally made bodies.

But with Nicholson, we get into the first wholly American made tools, and they take on an almost spiritual significance, as expressions of new independence. They were the tools that built the houses, schools and chapels of the new country.

So their value is far beyond what any of us would pay for a usable plane - which has also been accurately assessed in the postings here. Patrick Leach, as many will know, has for some long time been in the forefront of the second-hand tool market. His famous 'blood and gore' guide to Stanley planes is responsible for making rare tools desirable and valuable. So I am sure he knows what someone will pay for this very rare and special plane.

george wilson
11-11-2010, 9:18 AM
O.K.,I'm trying to pick 2 out of speed,quality,price,Caspar. Somehow quality and speed don't match up.

Sean Hughto
11-11-2010, 9:44 AM
That's an old contractors saying, George: "Quick, cheap, good, pick two." Meaning if you want it good and quick, it's gonna be expensive. If you want it cheap and quick, it's gonna be low quality. And if you are willing to wait, you may be able to get quality at a reasonable price.

Jon van der Linden
11-11-2010, 10:13 AM
That's an old contractors saying, George: "Quick, cheap, good, pick two." Meaning if you want it good and quick, it's gonna be expensive. If you want it cheap and quick, it's gonna be low quality. And if you are willing to wait, you may be able to get quality at a reasonable price.

LOL - I think George is referring to Caspar's post which is a cut and paste and is out of context... and ends with "Speed, quality, price. Pick two." In any case, George is right that speed and quality don't match up, either with the post or the original saying.

Sean Hughto
11-11-2010, 1:05 PM
If a given job normally takes 8 hours by one craftsman to do well, one may be able to hire three craftsman to work on it and get the same result (i.e., good quality) in half the time, but it's gonna cost you a lot more (you're paying more workman's hours).

Jim Koepke
11-11-2010, 1:23 PM
If a given job normally takes 8 hours by one craftsman to do well, one may be able to hire three craftsman to work on it and get the same result (i.e., good quality) in half the time, but it's gonna cost you a lot more (you're paying more workman's hours).

Plus a bit extra cost to cover any call backs.

At one time I worked in a print shop that was known for their quality of work. The production manager was always suspicious of people who came in and wanted us to bump them up in the schedule because they needed something right away and willing to pay a premium. Usually if we took the job the result would be unwelcome. The job would be done and they would want changes. Sometimes the job would be done and then sit and wait a week for them to pick it up or tell us where to ship the item. Then there were those who would simply not pay or pay only after billing them for months on end.

The production manager would usually stick to his guns and tell customers that our normal schedule to allow for all the variables was two weeks from purchase order to delivery. If they did not like this, there were other printers that would be happy to do the work.

jtk

Tom Vanzant
11-11-2010, 1:51 PM
Jim,
I once worked for a small engineering firm with in-house blue-line printing. If you told the counter-man that it was a rush job, he'd always assure you that you were next...... after all the other orders in line ahead of you, that is. If it's a true rush job, have your boss place the order. Very nice, but very firm.
Tom

steven c newman
11-11-2010, 2:30 PM
"You want it WHEN?"

Along the bottom edge of this sign is a picture of several people rolling in laughter. :D

Caspar Hauser
11-11-2010, 5:56 PM
LOL - I think George is referring to Caspar's post which is a cut and paste and is out of context... and ends with "Speed, quality, price. Pick two." In any case, George is right that speed and quality don't match up, either with the post or the original saying.

Oh, I ought to have said that the cut and paste was of an explanatory post from page 2 of the thread referred to in the OP's post, I should perhaps have just done the link thing.

It was out of context? Sorry chaps, something obviously eluded me.

'Speed, qualty, price, pick two' is part of my 'signature' thing, see below. I find it applies to a great number of things.

CH